Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Birmingham youngsters launch anti-violence campaign to tackle knife crimes

A GROUP of youngsters in Birmingham have launched an anti-violence campaign to tackle knife crimes.

Birmingham's Aspiring Youth Council hope to take their Bin That Knife, Save a Life campaign to schools and youth centres across the city, and persuade teenagers against carrying a knife.


"We see it all around us, it's on our minds every day," 16-year-old Narvera Parvez, a council member and one of the city's youth crime commissioners, was quoted as saying by the Birmingham Mail. "This is not just a gang issue - older adults think it's all gang related but there are plenty of kids not involved in gangs or violence who carry knives."

"It's infiltrated so many communities in Birmingham, and knives are often being carried by people you wouldn't expect. It's not that people want to do harm; they are just carrying them because they feel they have to, for safety," said Navera, from Aston.

According to police figures released in March this year, 2018 saw nearly 700 schoolchildren becoming victims of knife crime in the West Midlands. This included 41 of primary school age. More than 800 youngsters, including 45 children aged 10 to 11, were caught with a knife in the region last year.

Cuts in policing and youth services were blamed for the knife crime epidemic in the city.

Birmingham MP Khalid Mahmood told The Guardian: “The police numbers are at such a low that it takes something very big, an emergency, for people to get a response at all. It has to be something pretty major. This is something which has progressively got worse over the past few years and I can’t see it getting any better unless something drastically changes.”

He added: “This is how epidemic it has become, that even young children – those of primary school age – feel that in order to protect themselves they have to carry a knife. This is because the police are not there to protect them; the youth workers aren’t there to support them.”

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less