Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

BBC journalist 'acted deceitfully' to secure Princess Diana interview, inquiry finds out

AN inquiry into how the BBC secured the 1995 interview with Britain's Princess Diana in which she disclosed intimate details of her failed marriage concluded on Thursday (20) that the journalist involved had acted deceitfully.

The BBC set up the investigation, headed by former senior Court judge John Dyson, in November following allegations from Diana's brother Charles Spencer that forged documents and "other deceit" were used to trick him to introduce Diana to journalist Martin Bashir.


Dyson's report found that Bashir, then a little known reporter, had shown Spencer fake bank statements to induce him to arrange a meeting with Diana.

"Mr Bashir acted inappropriately and in serious breach of the 1993 edition of the Producers’ Guidelines on straight dealing," the report said.

He also concluded the BBC had fallen short of "the high standards of integrity and transparency which are its hallmark" in its response to allegations of impropriety.

During the explosive interview, watched by more than 20 million viewers in Britain, Diana shocked the nation by admitting to an affair and sharing details of her marriage to the heir to the throne, Prince Charles.

It came at a nadir for the royal family and was the first time Diana, who died in a Paris car crash in 1997, had made public comments about her doomed marriage.

Her remark that "there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded" - a reference to Charles rekindling his relationship with Camilla Parker Bowles, now his second wife - was particularly damaging to the Windsors.

Last week, the BBC announced that Bashir was leaving his current job as the publicly-funded broadcaster's religious affairs editor because of ill health.

Bashir apologised but said he did not believe the faked statements had prompted Diana to give the interview, PA Media reported.

Spencer says Bashir had persuaded him to get his sister to agree to the interview by telling him Diana was being bugged by the security services and that two senior aides were being paid to provide information about her.

Both Diana's sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, have welcomed the investigation as a chance to find out the truth of what had happened.

"While the BBC cannot turn back the clock after a quarter of a century, we can make a full and unconditional apology. The BBC offers that today," BBC Director-General, Tim Davie, said in a statement.

More For You

Peter Navarro

White House senior counselor for trade and manufacturing Peter Navarro speaks to reporters outside of the West Wing of the White House on August 21, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

India is 'Maharaja in tariffs', US trade advisor says

WHITE HOUSE trade adviser Peter Navarro criticised India as being a "Maharaj" in tariffs and claimed it operated a "profiteering scheme" by using discounted Russian crude oil, as a war of words between India and the US continued to escalate.

Navarro's comments came as India’s foreign minister, S Jaishankar, said the US had asked New Delhi to help stabilise global energy markets by buying Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less
US truck driver visa ban

Harjinder Singh (L), Harneet Singh (Photo: US Homeland Security)

US Homeland Security

US stops foreign truck driver visas after fatal crash by Indian migrant

PRESIDENT Donald Trump's administration on Thursday (21) abruptly stopped issuing US visas for truck drivers after a fatal crash earlier this month involving an Indian immigrant drew national attention.

Three people died on a highway in Florida when Harjinder Singh made an illegal U-turn on August 12. Singh allegedly entered the US illegally from Mexico and failed an English examination after the crash, federal officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty

Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Protests planned at asylum hotels as tensions rise

PROTESTS are expected outside hotels being used to house asylum seekers across England this weekend, with counter-demonstrations also planned.

Figures released on Thursday showed more than 32,000 asylum seekers are currently in hotels, an 8 per cent rise during Labour’s first year in office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lord Swraj Paul, “man of steel", passes away at 94

Swraj Paul in his office in Caparo House in Baker Street London in November 2021

Lord Swraj Paul, “man of steel", passes away at 94

Lord Swraj Paul, who was one of the defining figures of the last half century in Indo-British relations and who was fond of saying, “I’m 100 per cent Indian and 100 per cent British,” died in hospital in London on Thursday, his family said.

Although he had been in poor health for some time, he celebrated his 94th birthday with some style on 18 February 2025 with a gala party at the Indian Gymkhana Club in London.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar

Russian president Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a meeting in Moscow, Russia August 21, 2025. Sputnik/Sergei Karpukhin/Pool via REUTERS

India, Russia vow stronger trade ties despite US pressure

INDIA and Russia agreed to boost trade ties on Thursday (21) as their foreign ministers met in Moscow, giving little indication that US president Donald Trump's hefty tariffs on India for buying Russian oil would disrupt their relations.

Indian goods face additional US tariffs of up to 50 per cent, among the highest imposed by Washington, due to New Delhi's increased purchases of Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less