Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Australian man charged for crash that killed 5 of Indian origin

William Swale was arrested on Monday over the incident which claimed five lives and left others badly injured at the Royal Daylesford Hotel on November 5

Australian man charged for crash that killed 5 of Indian origin

A 66-year-old Australian man faced multiple charges on Monday (11) in connection with a fatal crash that resulted in the deaths of five members from two Indian origin families at a pub's outdoor dining area last month, a media report said.

William Swale was arrested on Monday over the incident which claimed five lives and left others badly injured at the Royal Daylesford Hotel on November 5.


Vivek Bhatia (38), his son Vihan (11), Pratibha Sharma, 44, her nine-year-old daughter Anvi, and her husband Jatin Kumar, 30, were killed in the incident.

Bhatia's younger son, Abir, and wife Ruchi, were hospitalised but have since been released.

Swale, who has lived with type one diabetes for three decades, has been charged with five counts of culpable driving causing death, two counts of negligently causing serious injury and seven counts of reckless conduct endangering life, ABC News reported.

On Monday, Detective Sergeant Peter Romanis told the Melbourne Magistrates' Court Swale scanned his blood glucose monitoring device at 5:17 pm, about 40 minutes before the crash.

The officer said it produced a reading of 2.9 millimoles of glucose per litre of blood, a level considered to be below a safe threshold.

"The accused received and ignored a further eight mobile phone alerts via a blood glucose monitoring app prior to the collision occurring," Sergeant Romanis said.

Sergeant Romanis said Swale was captured on CCTV entering a wine bar at 5:20 pm and asking for a table, before returning to his vehicle.

He was seen driving his vehicle at 5:42 pm and 5:44 pm, and then at 6:07 pm when he "lost control of the BMW" as it travelled down Albert Street, over a kerb and into the diners who were seated at tables on the grass reserve.

Sergeant Romanis said Swale stayed in his vehicle and was observed as being "sweaty", "hot" and "clammy" by bystanders who rushed to help.

Swale's lawyer Martin Amad said his client would be pleading not guilty, arguing it was "fair and square a medical episode" that had occurred. He said prosecutors would not be able to prove the 66-year-old was aware his blood glucose levels were dangerously low.

"It's a lot of jail, or no jail," he said of his client's position.

William Swale William Swale - Image Credit: Screenshot Twitter @7NewsMelbourne

The court heard Swale had previously received more than 30 penalty notices for driving infringements, mostly for excessive speed but only had one prior conviction.

During cross-examination, Amad questioned Sergeant Romanis, asking him whether Swale had managed his medical condition well since his diagnosis in 1994. "Yes," the officer replied.

Amad said there might be a number of reasons why his client did not heed the blood glucose warnings, including that he was in the midst of a medical episode. "Clearly, he was," Sergeant Romanis said.

Sergeant Romanis said Swale made a "no comment" interview when he was arrested.

He said medical and mobile phone evidence would play an important role in the prosecution case.

"We've made approaches to the company responsible for the app. We're discussing with them at the moment about the provision of information for the case," he said.

Swale was remanded in custody until Friday when Magistrate Brett Sonnet will decide on whether to release him on bail.

The criminal case against Swale will continue into next year when a contested committal hearing will be held to determine if there is sufficient evidence for him to stand trial in the County or Supreme Court, the report said.

(PTI)

More For You

Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
Karim Khan misconduct

International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Karim Khan, attends a United Nations Security Council meeting on Sudan and South Sudan at the United Nations headquarters on January 27, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Second woman accuses ICC prosecutor Karim Khan of sexual misconduct

A SECOND woman has accused Karim Khan, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), of sexual misconduct, reported the Guardian.

The woman alleged that while working as an intern for Khan more than a decade ago, he repeatedly subjected her to unwanted sexual advances, abused his senior position, and pressured her into situations where she felt unsafe.

Keep ReadingShow less
chicken-pox-istock

The Department of Health said the rollout would reduce missed days at nursery and school, cut time parents take off work, and save the NHS about £15 million a year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

England to introduce free chickenpox vaccine for children from 2026

CHILDREN in England will be offered a free chickenpox vaccine for the first time from January 2026, the government has announced.

GP practices will give eligible children a combined vaccine for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) as part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. Around half a million children each year are expected to be protected.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-japan

Modi is on a two-day visit to Japan from August 29 to 30. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

X/@narendramodi

India, Japan to expand partnership; Modi to meet Xi, Putin next

Highlights:

  • Modi says India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century”
  • Japan to announce $68 billion investment in India over 10 years
  • Modi to attend SCO summit in China, meet Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin
  • India and Japan to deepen cooperation in trade, technology and security

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Thursday said India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century,” as he began a two-nation visit that will also take him to China for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit.

Keep ReadingShow less
London migrant hotel protest
People demonstrate near the Bell Hotel on July 20, 2025 in Epping, England. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government moves to overturn hotel migrant housing ban

Highlights:

  • Government appeals against injunction blocking asylum housing at Bell Hotel in Epping
  • More than 32,000 asylum seekers currently housed in UK hotels
  • Labour pledges to end hotel use for asylum seekers before 2029 election

THE UK government on Thursday asked the Court of Appeal to lift a ban on housing asylum seekers at a hotel that has faced protests, warning the order could set "a precedent".

Keep ReadingShow less