Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Atnahs acquires five drugs of Astrazeneca

The UK-based Astrazeneca said that it has decided to sell the commercial rights of five of its drugs- mainly used to treat hypertension--to Atnahs Pharma.

The business offloaded for up to $390 million as it focuses on new potential medicines to boost its market globally.


Atnahs will make an upfront payment of $350m to Astrazeneca.

Astrazeneca may also receive future sales-contingent payments of up to $40m between 2020 and 2022.

The Cambridge-based company will continue to make and supply the drugs, which include inderal and tenormin.

The divestment is expected to complete in the first quarter of 2020.

According to the deal inked, Astrazeneca has agreed to sell the global commercial rights of inderal (propranolol), tenormin (atenolol), tenoretic (atenolol, chlorthalidone fixed-dose combination), zestril (lisinopril) and zestoretic (lisinopril, hydrochlorothiazide fixed-dose combination) to Atnahs Pharma.

The agreement excludes the rights in the US and India, which were previously divested, and in Japan, which will be retained by Astrazeneca. The medicines have lost their patent protection globally.

Astrazeneca will continue to manufacture and supply inderal, tenormin, tenoretic, zestril and zestoretic to Atnahs during a transition period.

Atnahs is owned by Vijay and Bhikhu Patel of Waymade.

Astrazeneca was created through the combination of Astra of Sweden and Zeneca of Britain in 1999.

More For You

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less
enforcement directorate

The Enforcement Directorate searches were conducted at locations linked to the Gupta brothers, Piyoosh Goyal of World Window Group, and entities such as Sahara Computers and ITJ Retails Pvt Ltd.

Getty Images

India agency acts on South Africa request in Gupta brothers probe

INDIA's financial crime fighting agency, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday carried out searches at locations connected to the Gupta brothers of South Africa and their associates in a money laundering case.

The action followed a Mutual Legal Assistance Request (MLAR) received by India from South Africa in connection with the "state capture scam," reported PTI quoting sources.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump and Modi

Donald Trump speaks with the press as he meets with Narendra Modi in the Oval Office of the White House on February 13, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Trump’s doubling of tariffs on Indian imports takes effect

Highlights

  • US tariffs on Indian imports rise to as much as 50 per cent
  • Nearly 55 per cent of India’s $87bn exports to US could be affected
  • Exporters warn of job losses and call for loan moratoriums
  • India says support measures will be offered to affected exporters

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump’s doubling of tariffs on Indian imports took effect on Wednesday, raising duties on some shipments to as much as 50 per cent. The move escalates trade tensions between India and the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less