Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Yasir spins Pakistan to test victory over Windies

Yasir Shah completed a six-wicket haul to spearhead the second innings rout of the West Indies as Pakistan achieved a comfortable seven-wicket victory just after lunch on the final day of the first Test on Tuesday.

Trailing on first innings by 121 runs and resuming at the overnight position of 93 for four, the home side were dismissed for 152 after less than two hours' play at Sabina Park in Jamaica.


Needing just 32 runs for a 1-0 lead in the three-Test series, the tourists lost three wickets either side of the interval and it was left to captain Misbah ul Haq to end Pakistan's abysmal run of six consecutive Test match defeats with consecutive sixes off Devendra Bishoo.

Having taken the first four wickets late on the fourth evening, Shah was kept waiting for more success at the start of play on the fifth day as the visitors' faster bowlers took up the challenge of continuing the demolition job by taking the next four wickets.

However, the leg-spinner, who bowled unchanged from one end throughout the morning's play, was not to be denied another five-wicket innings haul.

He wrapped up the innings with the wickets of tailenders Alzarri Joseph and Shannon Gabriel in the space of four deliveries in his 22nd over, finishing with the excellent innings figures of six for 63 and a match haul of eight for 154.

"It was tough for me during the last series in Australia and I was happy to get back among the wickets here," he said after receiving the 'Man of the Match' award.

"Those rough areas on the pitch were very helpful to me and I hope I can continue with this sort of performance for the rest of the series."

Shah was expected to pose an immediate threat at the start of play but it was Mohammad Amir who initiated the final tumble of wickets, inducing an error of judgement from Vishaul Singh, who was bowled offering no shot to the left-arm fast bowler.

Mohammad Abbas replaced Amir and almost immediately struck two critical blows. Nightwatchman Bishoo, who had defied the Pakistanis for over an hour, flashed at a wide delivery to be well caught by Younis Khan at second slip for 18.

Shane Dowrich was then trapped palpably LBW two balls later and at 129 for seven the die was effectively cast.

Jason Holder joined Roston Chase and the pair hinted briefly at a repetition of the resistance they showed a year earlier when the West Indies batted through the last day at the same venue to ensure a draw in the second Test of a four-match series against India.

History was not to be repeated, though, as Wahab Riaz replaced Abbas and accounted for the West Indies captain via a catch behind as Holder essayed a loose drive, providing the opportunity for Shah to finish off the innings in the next over.

"It's pretty frustrating because we need to see our young players learning and improving at the top of the batting order," said a disappointed Holder in the aftermath of defeat.

"Our bowlers tried really hard but we didn't help ourselves in the field with the number of chances that we missed."

Any expectation of Pakistan knocking off the required runs swiftly were ended by the dismissals of Ahmed Shehzad and Azhar Ali in successive overs. Shehzad edged a catch to wicketkeeper Dowrich off Gabriel while Ali played on to Joseph before lunch.

Younis Khan fell upon the resumption, leg-before to Bishoo, but with Babar Azam, the heir apparent to the departing star batsman looking on from the other end, Misbah heaved consecutive deliveries beyond the boundary to formalise the result and partially ease his own disappointment at being stranded on 99 not out in the first innings the day before.

More For You

Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
Emma Stone Venice

Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens

Getty Images

Emma Stone stuns Venice by claiming it is ‘narcissistic’ to think humans are alone in the universe

Highlights:

  • Emma Stone declares her belief in aliens during Venice promotion of Bugonia
  • The Oscar-winning actor cites Carl Sagan’s philosophy as her inspiration
  • Bugonia, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, is a remake of Korean cult hit Save the Green Planet!
  • Film stars Jesse Plemons alongside Stone and is set for UK release in November

Emma Stone has said she believes in aliens, making the confession while promoting her new film Bugonia at the Venice Film Festival. The Oscar-winning actor linked her belief to the philosophy of astronomer Carl Sagan, who argued it was “pretty narcissistic” to assume humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. The subject mirrors the central theme of her latest project, which sees her play a powerful CEO accused of being an alien by two conspiracy theorists.

Emma Stone Venice Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
chicken-pox-istock

The Department of Health said the rollout would reduce missed days at nursery and school, cut time parents take off work, and save the NHS about £15 million a year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

England to introduce free chickenpox vaccine for children from 2026

CHILDREN in England will be offered a free chickenpox vaccine for the first time from January 2026, the government has announced.

GP practices will give eligible children a combined vaccine for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) as part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. Around half a million children each year are expected to be protected.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-japan

Modi is on a two-day visit to Japan from August 29 to 30. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

X/@narendramodi

India, Japan to expand partnership; Modi to meet Xi, Putin next

Highlights:

  • Modi says India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century”
  • Japan to announce $68 billion investment in India over 10 years
  • Modi to attend SCO summit in China, meet Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin
  • India and Japan to deepen cooperation in trade, technology and security

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Thursday said India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century,” as he began a two-nation visit that will also take him to China for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit.

Keep ReadingShow less
Guru Randhawa Azul controversy

Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls

Instagram/gururandhawa

Guru Randhawa’s 'Azul' music video slammed for sexualising schoolgirls, Sonam Kapoor joins outrage

Highlights:

  • Guru Randhawa’s Azul video has sparked outrage for depicting schoolgirls in a sexualised manner
  • Sonam Kapoor and others reacted after a viral post highlighted the issue
  • The singer has also been summoned by a Samrala court over separate objectionable lyrics
  • Randhawa has restricted Instagram comments amid growing criticism

Punjabi pop star Guru Randhawa is facing widespread criticism after his latest release Azul was accused of sexualising schoolgirls. The glossy music video, in which Randhawa plays a photographer visiting an all-girls school, has been slammed as “problematic” and “pornographic” by critics and social media users. The backlash coincides with a separate case where the singer has been summoned by a Samrala court for allegedly promoting drug use through his lyrics in Sirra, intensifying the storm around him.

Guru Randhawa Azul controversy Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls Instagram/gururandhawa

Keep ReadingShow less