Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

‘World is so cruel’, says mother of child who died in gas explosion

Sahara Salman, who was due to start her schooling in September, died as her house collapsed following the explosion

‘World is so cruel’, says mother of child who died in gas explosion

THE MOTHER of a girl who was killed in a gas explosion in a south London house has said their world “has been torn apart” following the tragedy last week.

Sahara Salman, four, who was due to start her schooling in September, died as her house collapsed following the explosion in Croydon last Monday (8) and three others suffered serious injuries.


“We have lost our daughter who is our pride and our joy,” her mother Sana Ahmad said, “the world is so cruel.”

Recounting the August 8 explosion, the grieving mother said, “I had two children in my room and then Sahara in the box room, and my eldest in the room towards the garden. My room is the one facing the main road.”

She told the Evening Standard, “my instinct was to grab all my children but as I’d gone to the hallway Sahara’s room had collapsed already. There was no sign of me even getting to her. The explosion was so bad that it almost felt like missiles were dropped on the properties. That’s how quickly the building started to fall down.”

The Metropolitan Police said the body of the child was recovered from the building and several neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution. Residents who were evacuated are still not sure when they can come back home.

The force said those injured in the incident were recovering.

A spokesperson for Southern Gas Networks said the company was working closely with investigators and assisting the emergency services.

More For You

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks to media as he reacts to the local Council Election results at AFC Wimbledon on May 9, 2026 in London, England.

(Photo by Alishia Abodunde/Getty Images)

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Highlights

  • Starmer says he will lead Labour into the next general election and serve a full second term
  • Catherine West, a former junior minister, says she has ten MPs behind her but hopes a stronger candidate will emerge
  • Labour suffered its worst local election losses by a governing party since 1995
  • More than 20 MPs have publicly or privately called on Starmer to quit

PRIME MINISTER Sir Keir Starmer is facing a direct challenge to his leadership after a former minister threatened to stand against him on Monday (11) unless his cabinet moves to replace him — but he has vowed to fight on, insisting his government is a "ten-year project".

Keep ReadingShow less