Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Vijender Singh's US pro debut postponed following injury during training

Indian boxing star Vijender Singh's much-awaited professional debut in the USA, scheduled for April 12, has been postponed after he injured himself during a sparring session in Los Angeles.

The 33-year-old, India's first Olympic and world championships medallist in boxing, was to make his US debut at the Staples Center on the Vasiliy Lomachenko-Anthony Crolla undercard.


It was to be an eight-round contest and his opponent was yet to be decided.

"I got hurt during a sparring session on Friday. My left eye has received two kinds of stitches and doctors have told me they would remove the just the external stitches on coming Friday," Vijender said.

Vijender is so far unbeaten in his 10-bout pro career and claimed the WBO Asia Pacific super welterweight title during his stint with England.

The celebrated Indian turned professional in 2015.

"I can't recall the name of the guy I was sparring with but I got hit by his elbow. It is disappointing to be held back by something like this but I believe whatever God does is always for the best. So, I am sure he has a better plan for me," he said.

Asked if the new schedule for his debut US fight has been decided, the Haryana pugilist said, "It will only be known once my injury heals.

It is going to take some time. My trainer (Freddie Roach) was furious with the boy who accidentally hit me. But it's all part of life and I am never the one to sulk."

"Because apart from this, I am really enjoying training here. I am really looking forward to make a name for myself here."

Vijender, represented in India by IOS Boxing Promotions, relocated his training base to Los Angles earlier this month after signing up with the legenday Bob Arum's 'Top Rank Promotions'.

He is training at the 'The Wild Card Boxing Club' under Roach, a 2012 International Boxing Hall of Fame (IBHOF) inductee.

In his 32 years as a trainer, Roach is widely regarded as one of the best boxing coaches of all time.

Roach has been mentor to 36 world champions including the likes of Mike Tyson, eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, five-time and four-division world champion Miguel Cotto and multiple world champion Oscar de La Hoya.

Roach has also trained former junior welterweight champion Amir Khan.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

christopher schwarzenegger weight loss

Christopher said his approach to his weight began changing in 2019

X/ Jabz_CFC

The hidden emotional toll of Christopher Schwarzenegger’s transformation: ‘I don’t feel like an ‘After’ yet’

Highlights

  • Christopher Schwarzenegger has spoken candidly about his weight-loss journey after appearing in new family holiday photos.
  • The 28-year-old said he has lost 30 pounds and built muscle, but does not consider himself an “after” yet.
  • Schwarzenegger has described the transformation as a long process involving trial and error rather than a quick change.

Christopher Schwarzenegger’s recent appearance in family holiday photos has drawn attention to his dramatic physical transformation, but his own comments reveal that the change has been about more than simply looking different.

The 28-year-old son of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver appeared in photos shared by his sister Katherine Schwarzenegger from a family trip “out east”. Relaxing at the beach in a T-shirt and swim trunks, Christopher’s slimmer, more muscular physique was noticeable.

Keep ReadingShow less