Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Vijay Mallya hints at desire to return to India

Liquor baron Vijay Mallya has reportedly reached out to Indian authorities expressing his desire to return to the country to face the law.

 Source, however, refused to divulge more details about Mallya’s future actions, reported news agency PTI.


Mallya is the main accused in a Rs 9,000 crore bank fraud case. The 62-year-old is contesting in a London court the Indian government’s action for extradition. He is also contesting the recent action against him under the Fugitive Economic Offender Ordinance, which gives authorities permission to immediately confiscate Mallya’s properties in India as well as abroad, which is estimated to be worth around Rs 12,500 crore.

In June, Mallya expressed his wish to repay the public sector banks that gave loans to his now defunct Kingfisher Airlines, saying the value of his assets is much more than what it was in 2016.

Back then he had offered to pay back Rs 4,400 crore worth of loans to state-run lenders.

Last month, Mallya said he and UB Holding Ltd have filed an application before the Karnataka High Court on June 22, 2018, setting out available assets of approximately Rs 13,900 crore.

"We have requested the Courts permission to allow us to sell these assets under judicial supervision and repay creditors, including the Public Sector Banks such amounts as may be directed and determined by the Court," the tycoon said.

Countering claims he had no intention to repay banks, Mallya tweeted, "I have made an application to the Honourable Karnataka HC showing assets far in excess of the Banks claims and requesting sale under judicial supervision."

"It is incorrect that my settlement offer before the Karnataka HC was motivated by the latest charge sheet under the media reported Fugitive Ordinance. I always had honest intentions to settle and there is ample proof," Mallya added.

More For You

JPMorgan

The building will rise on the Riverside South site along the Thames, a plot JPMorgan purchased in 2008

Getty Images

JPMorgan to build Europe's largest office tower in London's Canary Wharf

Highlights

  • New tower will span 3 m square feet, more than double the size of The Shard.
  • Project will contribute £9.9 bn to local economy and create 7,800 jobs over six years.
  • Goldman Sachs also announces expansion in Birmingham, hiring 500 additional staff.
JPMorgan has announced plans to construct a massive new office tower in London's Canary Wharf financial district, marking one of the largest post-Brexit investments in Britain's capital. The American banking giant revealed on Thursday that the project would inject £9.9 bn (approximately $13.1 bn) into the local economy over six years.

The planned structure will become JPMorgan's largest office in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, accommodating up to 12,000 employees. With 3 m square feet of floor space, it will rank among Europe's biggest towers—more than double the size of Britain's tallest building, The Shard, and Germany's Commerzbank Tower, which each contain roughly 1.3 m square feet.

Norman Foster's architectural firm, Foster + Partners, which designed JPMorgan's recently opened New York headquarters, will lead the tower's design.

Keep ReadingShow less