Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Tendulkar urges ICC to make helmets must for batsmen

Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar  on Tuesday (3) urged cricket's world body to make helmets "mandatory" for batsmen at all times during a match.

Tendulkar was reacting to an Indian Premier League incident when Sunrisers Hyderabad batsman Vijay Shankar took a blow on the helmet by a throw from Kings XI Punjab's Nicholas Pooran.


"The game has become faster but is it getting safer? Recently we witnessed an incident which could've been nasty," Tendulkar wrote on Twitter with a video link of the action.

"Be it a spinner or pacer, wearing a HELMET should be MANDATORY for batsmen at professional levels. Request @icc to take this up on priority."

Batsmen usually wear a helmet when facing a fast bowler but take the head gear off when a spinner comes on to bowl.

Shankar fell to the ground after taking the hit but escaped injury in the IPL league game last month.

Head injuries in the game were back in focus after Australian batsman Phil Hughes' tragic death in 2014 due a hit on the neck just below the helmet.

The International Cricket Council has since improved helmet standards with equipment companies adding extra protection in the neck area to prevent serious injuries.

Tendulkar, 47, also recalled a blow to current India coach Ravi Shastri during an exhibition game in his playing days.

"@RaviShastriOfc , this also reminded me of the time when you got hit after top edging a full toss bowled by Mr. (Sunil) Gavaskar during an exhibition game," Tendulkar tweeted.

"That could've been a grave injury too but thankfully wasn't!"

Tendulkar, whose word still holds weight in the cricketing world, made his debut for India aged just 16 in 1989 and broke almost every batting record before retiring in 2013.

More For You

Trump reshares post calling India and China 'hellholes' flooding America with immigrants

The incident comes as India and the United States continue trade negotiations

Getty Images

Trump reshares post calling India and China 'hellholes' flooding America with immigrants

Highlights

  • Trump shares post calling India, China "hellholes".
  • MEA says "we've seen some reports".
  • US approval ratings drop to 33 per cent.
US president Donald Trump sparked fresh controversy on Thursday by resharing a racist post from American commentator Michael Savage that called India, China and other nations "hellholes."
The Ministry of External Affairs responded with minimal comment.

"We've seen some reports. That's where I'll leave it," MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a weekly briefing on Thursday evening. He offered no further reaction to the post Trump shared with millions of followers.

The incident comes as India and the United States continue trade negotiations. Jaiswal confirmed an Indian team travelled to Washington DC for talks, describing discussions as "ongoing and constructive."

Keep ReadingShow less