Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Supreme court intervention after Indian board resists reforms

THE influential Indian cricket board (BCCI) is facing a possible leadership crisis after the country’s supreme court demanded it accept sweeping changes by October 7.

The BCCI finds itself on a sticky wicket after it agreed to implement only part of a raft of changes recommended by a court-appointed panel, which was set up last year to usher in reforms at the world’s richest cricket board.


The panel, headed by former chief justice of India RM Lodha, recommended, among other things, age and tenure restrictions for top officials as well as banning them from serving successive terms.

“We will pass an appropriate order tomorrow if the BCCI refuses to give any undertaking (to accept the reforms),” chief justice of India Tirath Singh Thakur said on October 6.

A disgruntled administrator at the Cricket Association of Bihar, which is not recognised by the BCCI, had approached the top court, demanding transparency in the board’s operations.

The court made it clear that the BCCI, run largely by politicians and industrialists, could not cherry pick recommendations by the Lodha panel.

“You behave like lords. Fall in line or else we will make you,” the chief justice said last week after the panel recommended ousting the BCCI’s highest officials for non-compliance.

The panel blocked the BCCI from making two payments to its state associations on October 4, while approving routine expenditure, with the home series against New Zealand underway.

The BCCI have yet to reply to a request from reporters to comment on the supreme court’s deadline to accept reforms by October 7.

More For You

Gautam Gambhir

Gambhir, 44, took over from Rahul Dravid after last year’s T20 World Cup win and has since lost 10 out of 19 Tests.

Getty Images

Gambhir says BCCI will decide his future after India lose Test series 2-0

GAUTAM GAMBHIR said the Indian cricket board would decide his future as head coach after India lost the Test series 2-0 to South Africa on Wednesday.

India were beaten by 408 runs in the second Test, their biggest defeat by runs, and suffered a fifth loss in seven home matches. The team had earlier been whitewashed 3-0 by New Zealand a year ago, and the latest result in Guwahati renewed questions about Gambhir’s approach.

Keep ReadingShow less