Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Spanish star Nadal returns to India for Davis Cup clash

Rafael Nadal will fly out to New Delhi later this month to represent Spain in their Davis Cup tie against India.

The 14-time Grand Slam champion, 30, headlines a full-strength side that also includes 13th-ranked David Ferrer for the world group play-off tie from September 16-18.


Nadal, currently fifth in the world, is hoping to return to form after his shock fourth round US Open exit to France’s Lucas Pouille on Sunday (September 4).

Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez will make up their doubles duo for the tie, which will be played under lights for the first time in India.

“The return to the team of Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer is the big news of the Spanish team which will travel to India for the play-off,” the Spanish tennis federation said on Tuesday (6).

Nadal, who won the Olympic doubles title with Lopez last month, has had an indifferent couple of years and was forced to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon because of a wrist injury.

Five-time Davis Cup champions Spain will take on three-time runners-up India for the third time in the competition, but for the first time since 1965. The European nation leads the head-to-head record 2-1.

Nadal’s last visit to India was in December 2015 when he took on fellow great Roger Federer in a singles match in the Indian Premier Tennis League (IPTL). The Spaniard was playing for the local India Aces franchise.

Back then, he said: “The fans here have always been great and I enjoy being in a place where my foundation is also there. I think that I will be back.”

Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna will resume their doubles partnership in the match-up despite their Olympic disaster and strained relationship.

All four members of the squad that beat South Korea 4-1 last month were named, with Saketh Myneni, who reached the first round of a major for the first time in New York, and Ramkumar Ramanathan on singles duty.

“We are playing Spain and it’s not a good time for experimenting. Leander and Rohan are the best pair we have,” Indian captain SP Misra said.

More For You

Muthuswamy ton and Jansen blitz put South Africa in command

South Africa's Senuran Muthusamy celebrates after scoring a century (100 runs) during the second day of the second Test cricket match between India and South Africa at the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati on November 23, 2025. (Photo by Biju BORO / AFP via Getty Images)

Muthuswamy ton and Jansen blitz put South Africa in command

SENURAN MUTHUSAMY's maiden test hundred and a career-best 93 by Marco Jansen powered South Africa to a commanding first innings total of 489 and in charge of the second and final test against India in Guwahati on Sunday (23).

On a surface offering little assistance for bowlers, South Africa's top order had frittered away starts but number seven Muthusamy marshalled a lower-order surge with a composed 109.

Keep ReadingShow less