Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sky News Australia staffer quits saying channel increases ‘polarisation and paranoia’

A YOUNG Muslim said she has quit her job at Sky News following the Christchurch massacre because she felt commentators were "increasing polarisation and paranoia among their viewers".

Rashna Farrukh was a liaison for the channel based in their Canberra, Australia studio. She quit because she did not want to continue compromising her values, Farrukh said.


“Some nights I felt physically sick, others I even shed tears in my car on the way home,” Farrukh wrote for ABC online. “I continued to compromise my values. Not only my values as a member of a religious group who was continuously being blamed and alienated by the rhetoric on these shows, but also as an aspiring journalist.

“I compromised my values and beliefs to stand idly by as I watched commentators and pundits instil more and more fear into their viewers.”

Farrukh said she was disturbed when Australian politicians Cory Bernardi advocated to ban the burqa and Bronwyn Bishop claimed that “war” had been declared against Western culture.

“I answered calls from viewers who yelled about immigrants and Muslims ruining Australia,” she said. “They did not realise that the person on the other end of the phone was both of those things.

“I stood on the other side of the studio doors while they slammed every minority group in the country – mine included – increasing polarisation and paranoia among their viewers.”

Responding to Farrukh's piece, a spokesperson for Sky News said: “We respect Rashna’s decision and wish her well with her future endeavours.

“As a news and national affairs broadcaster Sky News is committed to debate and discussion which is vital to a healthy democracy.”

More For You

Sri Lanka Floods: Cyclone Ditwah Strikes, Death Toll Rises

The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the toll increased after more bodies were recovered in the worst-hit central region, where mudslides buried most of the victims earlier this week.(Photo: Getty Images)

Sri Lanka floods: Troops deployed as death toll rises to 69

SRI LANKAN troops worked on Friday to rescue hundreds of people stranded by rising floodwaters as weather-related deaths reached 69 and 34 people were reported missing.

Helicopters and navy boats carried out several rescue operations, taking residents from rooftops, treetops and villages cut off by the floods.

Keep ReadingShow less