Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sajid Javid apologises for urging people not to 'cower from' Covid

Sajid Javid apologises for urging people not to 'cower from' Covid

BRITISH health secretary Sajid Javid apologised for and deleted a tweet urging people to take a Covid-19 vaccine and not to "cower" from the virus, saying on Sunday (25) he had made "a poor choice of word".

Javid, who replaced Matt Hancock as health secretary last month after his predecessor stepped down for breaking Covid rules by kissing an aide in his office, had been criticised for using the word "cower" when tens of thousands in Britain have died from the virus and many are trying to keep safe.


Britain, which has one of the highest official Covid death tolls, has shifted its strategy to fight coronavirus from using restrictions to limit its spread to opening up society in the hope vaccines will protect most people from serious illness.

Cases are high, but so is uptake of Covid-19 vaccines, and officials argue the shift is needed to help businesses in sectors such as hospitality and the night-time economy.

Writing on Twitter, Javid said on Sunday (25) he had "deleted a tweet which used the word 'cower'."

"I was expressing gratitude that the vaccines help us fight back as a society, but it was a poor choice of word and I sincerely apologise. Like many, I have lost loved ones to this awful virus and would never minimise its impact."

On Saturday (24), he had written that he had recovered after testing positive for Covid, after suffering mild symptoms.

"Please - if you haven't yet - get your jab, as we learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus."

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour Party, was one of several lawmakers from opposition parties and people who had lost family members to the pandemic to criticise his use of the phrase "cower from".

"127,000 people have died from this virus, tens of thousands of whom would still be here if it wasn't for the catastrophic failures of your government," she said on Twitter.

"So how dare you denigrate people for trying to keep themselves and their families safe."

More For You

Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone

Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years

Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Daniel Day-Lewis comeback film ‘Anemone’ sparks “nepo baby” debate as trailer reveals dark family drama

Highlights:

  • First trailer for Anemone shows Daniel Day-Lewis returning to screen after eight years
  • The family drama is directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis and co-stars Sean Bean and Samantha Morton
  • The film premieres at the New York Film Festival in September before releasing in cinemas on 3 October
  • Produced by Brad Pitt’s Plan B and Focus Features, the film explores fractured family ties and past trauma

Daniel Day-Lewis has officially ended his eight-year retirement with the release of the Anemone trailer, marking his long-awaited screen comeback. The three-time Oscar winner last appeared in Phantom Thread (2017), after which he announced he would no longer act. With Anemone, directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis, he returns in a brooding family drama set in Northern England that also features Sean Bean and Samantha Morton.

Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Keep ReadingShow less
London-tube-Getty

Members of the public outside Whitechapel Underground Station on February 12, 2025 in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

London Tube staff to hold seven-day strike in September

LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.

The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sydney Sweeney bathwater

Sydney Sweeney says her bathwater soap faced harsher criticism than Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn candle

Instagram/ SydneySweeney/ Getty Images

Sydney Sweeney blasts double standards saying women slammed her bathwater soap while Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn bathwater was praised

Highlights:

  • Sydney Sweeney defended her controversial bathwater soap, Sydney’s Bathwater Bliss, in a new interview.
  • The Euphoria star compared criticism she faced to the praise Jacob Elordi’s bathwater candle received.
  • The limited-edition soap sold out in seconds despite online backlash.
  • Sweeney also addressed the outrage over her American Eagle “great jeans” campaign.

Sydney Sweeney has spoken out about the backlash she faced for her bathwater soap, saying that criticism mostly came from women. The Euphoria actor launched Sydney’s Bathwater Bliss in collaboration with men’s grooming brand Dr. Squatch earlier this year, but the product sparked a wave of online debate. In a new interview, she said it was “really interesting” that while her soap was mocked, fans had loved the idea of Jacob Elordi’s bathwater candle inspired by his Saltburn role.

Sydney Sweeney bathwater Sydney Sweeney says her bathwater soap faced harsher criticism than Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn candle Instagram/ SydneySweeney/ Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
UK-protests-Getty

Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Immigration: Labour will appeal ruling over aslyum seekers in hotels

MINISTERS will appeal a court decision earlier this week that barred the UK government from accommodating asylum seekers in a hotel, security minister Dan Jarvis said on Friday (22).

The high court on Tuesday (19) granted a temporary injunction to stop migrants from staying at the Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast of London, following several weeks of protests outside the hotel, some of them violent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita Ahuja Govinda divorce

Sunita Ahuja accuses Govinda of adultery and cruelty in divorce case

Getty Images

Sunita Ahuja accuses Govinda of adultery and cruelty in divorce plea, weeps in temple vlog while he skips court hearings

Highlights:

  • Govinda’s wife Sunita Ahuja has filed for divorce after 38 years of marriage.
  • Petition cites adultery, cruelty, and desertion under the Hindu Marriage Act.
  • Court records show Govinda has missed multiple hearings since May 2025.
  • Sunita broke down in a vlog, recalling her faith in Goddess Maa Kaali.

Bollywood actor Govinda is facing a fresh controversy as his wife, Sunita Ahuja, has filed for divorce citing adultery, cruelty, and desertion. According to reports, Sunita submitted her petition at Bandra Family Court under Section 13 (1) of the Hindu Marriage Act. The case has surprised fans, especially as the couple recently appeared to reconcile after years of speculation about their strained marriage. With court summons ignored and Sunita publicly speaking about her emotional turmoil in a vlog, the Govinda divorce case has become one of the most discussed topics in the entertainment world.

Sunita Ahuja Govinda divorce Sunita Ahuja accuses Govinda of adultery and cruelty in divorce plea, weeps in temple vlog as he skips court Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less