Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

PNB Fraud: Indian Investigators Attach £27.00 Million Assets of Nirav Modi In Hong Kong

India’s federal investigation agency, Enforcement Directorate (ED) has attached jewellery and other valuable assets in Hong Kong worth Rs 2.55 billion (£27.00 million) of absconding Indian diamond merchant Nirav Modi.

According to the investigation agency on Thursday (25) the attachment was made in connection with the £1.55bn alleged fraud case in the state-run Punjab National Bank (PNB). ED added that it has issued a provisional order under India’s Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) for the attachment of the properties.


The valuable assets were exported through 26 shipments by the Middle East-based firms of Nirav Modi to the Hong Kong-based companies controlled by the jeweller after the registration of PNB fraud case in India. All the properties including diamonds and jewellery items were kept in a logistic firm vault in Hong Kong, ED said.

Information on the value of the properties, consignee, shipper, and others of these shipments was gathered during the probe after obtaining the evidence of ownership and value of the products to attach the same, the ED added.

An Indian court-issued order will soon be sent to Hong Kong to formalise the PMLA attachment order, ED officers said. The total attachment value in the PNB fraud case against Modi has reached Rs 47.44bn with this court order.

ED has filed a charge sheet against Modi alleging that he laundered and deviated over Rs 64bn of bank finances abroad to fake firms that were under his and his close relatives' control.

Modi has been moved out of India and is still absconding since the alleged bank fraud came into light. An Interpol arrest warrant has been issued against Modi and others in connection with the financial fraud case.

Modi and others are being investigated by Indian investigators under various criminal laws after the fraud at PNB came to light in 2018 following a complaint filed by PNB. The PNB in its complaint alleged that Modi and others cheated the lender to the tune of over Rs 130bn, with the intended involvement of some of its employees.

More For You

aircraft

EasyJet announced it had already completed updates on many aircraft and planned to operate normally

Getty Images

Airbus grounds 6,000 aircraft over solar radiation risk

Highlights

  • Around 6,000 Airbus A320 family aircraft grounded worldwide, affecting half the manufacturer's global fleet.
  • Issue discovered following October incident where JetBlue flight experienced sudden altitude loss, injuring 15 passengers.
  • Most aircraft require three-hour software update, but 900 older planes need complete computer replacement.
Thousands of Airbus planes have been grounded globally after the European aerospace manufacturer discovered that intense solar radiation could interfere with critical flight control computers.
The revelation has triggered widespread flight cancellations and delays, particularly affecting the busy US Thanksgiving travel weekend.

The vulnerability impacts approximately 6,000 aircraft from the A320 family, including the A318, A319, and A321 models. Airbus identified the problem while investigating an October incident where a JetBlue Airways flight travelling between Mexico and the US made an emergency landing in Florida after experiencing a sudden drop in altitude.

The issue relates to computing software that calculates aircraft elevation. Airbus found that intense radiation periodically released by the sun could corrupt data at high altitudes in the ELAC computer, which operates control surfaces on the wings and horizontal stabiliser

Keep ReadingShow less