Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pakistan cricketers positive for Covid-19 in New Zealand

Pakistan's cricket tour of New Zealand was in the balance on Thursday after six squad members tested positive for Covid-19 and the team received a "final warning" for flouting quarantine rules.

New Zealand health authorities revoked the Pakistan players' ability to train while in isolation at their Christchurch hotel, making clear they would not tolerate risky behaviour in a country that has largely eradicated the virus.


"It is a privilege to come to New Zealand to play sport, but in return teams must stick to the rules that are designed to keep Covid-19 out of our communities," director-general of health, Ashley Bloomfield, said in a statement.

The health ministry said Pakistan's 53-member tour party, led by skipper Babar Azam, tested negative before leaving Lahore and were swabbed again after arriving for a spell of managed isolation on the South Island on Tuesday.

Six tests came back positive and those affected were moved into stricter quarantine, it said, with New Zealand Cricket adding that four cases were new and two were regarded as "historical".

"While this is disappointing for the Pakistan squad, the testing outcomes and the actions taken show the government system is working," NZC said.

Bloomfield said CCTV showed members of the tour party breaching social distancing protocols.

"The team as a whole has been issued with a final warning," he said.

"It's important to note that all incidents of breaches occurred within the facility and there is no risk to the public."

The West Indies cricket team were also reprimanded by New Zealand health authorities for similar breaches earlier this month when they were in managed isolation.

- 'Robust procedures' -

New Zealand has largely eradicated community transmission of coronavirus recording just 1,684 cases and 25 deaths in a population of five million.

Aggressive testing, snap lockdowns and effective contact tracing mean domestic life has largely returned to normal, but border control remain strict.

All overseas arrivals must undergo two weeks in quarantine, although New Zealand Cricket negotiated special privileges to allow the tourists to train together.

Health authorities said these had been revoked after several team members were seen on CCTV "breaching managed isolation rules, despite clear, consistent and detailed communication of expected behaviours".

The tour is scheduled to being with the first of three Twenty20 internationals in Auckland on December 18, followed by two Tests, but will be in jeopardy if there are any further breaches.

NZC said it was having discussions with the tourists to ensure they understood the quarantine requirements.

New Zealand's military helps manage border virus accommodation and air commodore Darryn Webb said there were robust procedures in place to deal with positive tests.

"Our focus is on keeping the rest of the squad and our staff safe," he said.

"For that reason, all other team members must remain in their rooms while investigations continue."

Even before Pakistan arrived on Kiwi soil the tour had been hit by ill health, with Pakistan's dashing opener Fakhar Zaman ruled out at the 11th hour with a persistent fever.

The 30-year-old left-hander tested negative along with the rest of the squad.

More For You

Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift

Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Highlights:

  • NFL star Travis Kelce set to give Taylor Swift an unusual engagement present
  • His horse Swift Delivery lines up for a £2m (₹20.8 crore) race in Kentucky
  • The four-time winning horse is co-owned with Gary Barber and Team Valor International
  • Fans and racing circles are watching closely after the couple’s engagement announcement

American football star Travis Kelce's engagement news has sparked worldwide attention, but the Kansas City Chiefs tight end has another reason to celebrate. His racehorse, aptly named Swift Delivery, will run in the £2 million (₹20.8 crore) Mint Millions Invitational at Kentucky Downs next month. Coming just weeks after Kelce confirmed his engagement to pop superstar Taylor Swift, the timing has added to the buzz.

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Keep ReadingShow less
Shah Rukh Khan &  Kinshuk Sen’s

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance

Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Kinshuk Sen says Shah Rukh Khan’s words on Palash Sen turned his DDLJ musical debut into a family full-circle moment

Highlights:

  • Palash Sen’s son Kinshuk Sen stars in Aditya Chopra’s Come Fall in Love – The DDLJ Musical
  • The UCLA graduate plays Kuljeet, originally portrayed by Parmeet Sethi in the 1995 classic
  • The stage show has travelled from the US to the UK, earning praise from diverse audiences
  • Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London and shared a personal memory with Kinshuk

Kinshuk Sen, son of celebrated singer Palash Sen, has stepped into the spotlight with Aditya Chopra’s DDLJ musical, Come Fall in Love. The UCLA graduate, who once pursued cognitive science, now plays the role of Kuljeet in the global stage adaptation of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. In a recent conversation, he shared how the journey from research labs to live theatre unfolded, and what it meant when Shah Rukh Khan recognised him with a message linking back to his father.

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Keep ReadingShow less
JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
​Gukesh

Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Getty Images

Chess World Cup 2025 to be held in Goa

GOA will host the Chess World Cup from October 30 to November 27. The FIDE World Cup 2025 carries a prize fund of USD 2 million and offers three qualifying spots for next year’s Candidates tournament.

The 206-player field includes world champion D Gukesh, Magnus Carlsen, Fabiano Caruana and R Praggnanandhaa. However, Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Keep ReadingShow less
pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less