Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Labour's defeat in Uxbridge by-election linked to Ulez expansion

The Ulez expansion, which is set to make the clean-air zone three times larger from August 29, has been a contentious issue in outer London areas, including Uxbridge and South Ruislip

Labour's defeat in Uxbridge by-election linked to Ulez expansion

In the Uxbridge by-election, the Conservative Party narrowly retained Boris Johnson's former constituency, defeating Labour by a mere 495 votes.

The expansion of London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez), proposed by Labour mayor Sadiq Khan, was cited as a contributing factor to the Tory victory, The BBC reported.


The Ulez expansion, which is set to make the clean-air zone three times larger from August 29, has been a contentious issue in outer London areas, including Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

During the campaign, Labour's candidate Danny Beales called for a halt to the Ulez expansion, citing concerns about the cost-of-living crisis.

Following his win, Conservative candidate Steve Tuckwell attributed Labour's loss to Khan's "damaging and costly Ulez policy," asserting that it would burden residents financially.

"This wasn't the campaign Labour expected and Keir Starmer and his mayor Sadiq Khan need to sit up and listen to the Uxbridge and South Ruislip residents," he said.

Labour's deputy leader, Angela Rayner, acknowledged the need for clean air in cities but emphasised the importance of providing proper compensation and support to those affected by the policy.

"There is a concern that we have to make sure that whatever is implemented is not at the cost of working families," she said.

She pledged to work with Khan to develop a suitable scrappage scheme.

The Ultra Low Emission Zone was initially proposed by former Conservative mayor Boris Johnson in 2013 and implemented in central London in 2019.

Under Khan's administration, the zone was extended to include the area within the North and South Circular roads in 2021.

The latest expansion is set to encompass regions such as Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, and Surrey.

Drivers of vehicles that do not meet modern emission standards face a daily charge of £12.50 or a maximum £180 fine if they don't pay.

In the aftermath of the by-election, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer avoided taking a definitive stance on the Ulez expansion, recognising both the mayor's obligation to reduce emissions and Beales’ concerns for potential constituents.

Conservative Party chairman Greg Hands accused Sir Starmer of flip-flopping on the issue, stating that the party defied the odds by retaining Uxbridge but faced losses in other constituencies due to Tory voters staying home.

In response to inquiries about the Conservative’s stance on green policies, Hands clarified that they were not opposed to such measures and emphasised the government's commitment to phasing out petrol cars by the year 2030.

Hands further explained that the government's approach involves allowing people sufficient time to make the transition to greener alternatives.

He contrasted this with Khan's implementation of the Ulez expansion, which he claimed gave people only nine months to comply with the new regulations.

The Uxbridge and South Ruislip by-election was triggered when Boris Johnson resigned as an MP last month.

Despite failing to win Uxbridge, Labour managed to make history by overturning its largest majority at a by-election since 1945 in Selby and Ainsty.

Meanwhile, the Liberal Democrats secured victory in the Somerton and Frome by-election with a significant margin of more than 11,000 votes.

More For You

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less
Julia Roberts After the Hunt

Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies

Getty Images

Julia Roberts 'After the Hunt' grilled at Venice over #MeToo and Woody Allen nod

Highlights:

  • Julia Roberts addresses tough questions on feminism and complicity
  • After the Hunt centres on misconduct allegations in academia
  • Director Luca Guadagnino defends the film’s bold narrative choices
  • Amazon MGM to release the film in North America on 10 October

Julia Roberts’ After the Hunt became one of the most talked-about premieres at the Venice Film Festival as the film stirred a heated #MeToo debate. With questions of complicity, feminism, and responsibility dominating the press conference, the actress and director Luca Guadagnino faced pointed scrutiny. The psychological drama, set in higher education, not only highlighted misconduct but also raised deeper issues of accountability and shifting cultural conversations.

Julia Roberts After the Hunt Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Selena Gomez bachelorette

Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations.

Instagram/selenagomez

Selena Gomez turns Cabo bachelorette into runway with pearl minidress and bikini parade before Benny Blanco wedding

Highlights:

  • Selena Gomez shared photos and videos from her bachelorette celebrations in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • The star wore a series of bridal-inspired white outfits, from pearl minidresses to crochet cover-ups
  • Blanco marked his bachelor party in Las Vegas with friends and fine dining
  • The couple, engaged since December 2024, are expected to tie the knot this autumn

Selena Gomez has given fans a behind-the-scenes look at her bachelorette party in Cabo San Lucas, where she gathered her closest friends for a sun-soaked celebration ahead of her upcoming wedding to music producer Benny Blanco. The 33-year-old singer, who announced her engagement in December 2024, posted a carousel of photos and videos on Instagram that captured the group’s seaside getaway, featuring themed decorations, yacht rides, and candlelit dinners.

Selena Gomez bachelorette Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations. Instagram/selenagomez

Keep ReadingShow less