Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Issa brothers face backlash over Muslim cemetery plan

The proposed 45-acre site in Oswaldtwistle, near Blackburn in Lancashire, has sparked concerns among local residents.

Issa brothers face backlash over Muslim cemetery plan
Zuber and Mohsin Issa

ISSA BROTHERS are facing renewed resistance to their plans for the UK's largest Muslim cemetery. The proposed 45-acre site in Oswaldtwistle, near Blackburn in Lancashire, has sparked concerns among local residents and councillors, primarily over traffic congestion, environmental impact, and wildlife disruption, reported the Telegraph.

The Memorial Garden project, spearheaded by the Issa Foundation, aims to establish 12,250 burial plots, a funeral parlour, prayer halls, and other facilities. This proposal comes after a larger 85-acre plan was withdrawn earlier this year following strong opposition. Despite the scaled-down version, locals remain deeply concerned, the report said.


Zuber and Mohsin Issa, whose parents emigrated from India, built their fortune from a single petrol station in Bury, transforming it into a global empire.

Tory councillor Steven Smithson, a vocal opponent of the development, warned about the dangers of increased traffic on Blackburn Road, describing it as “the most dangerous road in Oswaldtwistle.”

He highlighted the strain daily funerals could place on the road network, with potential risks of accidents and higher carbon emissions. Large gatherings, sometimes exceeding 400 attendees, could worsen congestion, he added.

Smithson also raised alarms about the site's geology and high water table, stating that burial activities could contaminate nearby allotments, gardens, and local waterways. Seasonal flooding has been a persistent issue, with parts of the proposed land frequently underwater for extended periods.

“We are proud of our green-belt land,” Smithson said. “This project risks damaging the environment and ruining the tranquillity of our community.”

Smithson is part of the campaign group “Say No to the Cemetery,” which has rallied significant local support. Over 300 residents attended a recent in-person meeting, while more than 3,000 have joined the campaign’s website.

The group has launched a GoFundMe page to fund professional advisers to challenge the application. Leaflets and banners opposing the development have also been distributed around the town.

The Issa brothers had initially planned a larger cemetery with 35,000 burial plots and expansive facilities. Following public consultations, the proposal was reduced to 12,250 plots, a single pavilion complex, and 356 parking spaces.

A spokesman for the Issa Foundation said the revisions were made in response to feedback from the community. “Our charity is committed to supporting the communities we serve,” the spokesman said. “This project addresses a vital need and significantly enhances the area. We have carefully revised the scheme to address residents’ concerns and submitted a revised application for council review.”

The application is scheduled for review by Hyndburn Borough Council early next year.

More For You

wasim bashir

Bashir retired from the force while under investigation but will still face misconduct proceedings. (Photo credit: West Yorkshire Police)

West Yorkshire Police

Former West Yorkshire Police officer jailed for misconduct

A FORMER West Yorkshire Police officer has been sentenced to two years and three months in prison after being convicted of misconduct in a public office.

Wasim Bashir, 55, who worked as a detective constable in Bradford District, was found guilty of one count of misconduct in a public office for forming a sexual relationship with a female victim of crime. He was sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday, 29 August.

Keep ReadingShow less
Epping protests

Protesters calling for the closure of The Bell Hotel, which was housing asylum seekers, gather outside the council offices in Epping on August 8, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Over a dozen councils plan legal action despite Home Office court win

Highlights:

  • Court of Appeal has overturned injunction blocking use of Epping hotel for asylum seekers.
  • Judges say human rights obligations outweigh local safety concerns.
  • At least 13 councils preparing legal action despite ruling.
  • Protests outside the Bell Hotel lead to arrests and police injuries.

MORE than a dozen councils are moving ahead with legal challenges against the use of hotels for asylum seekers despite the Home Office winning an appeal in the Court of Appeal.

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government wins appeal over housing asylum seekers in hotel

Highlights:

  • UK appeals court overturns ruling blocking hotel use for asylum seekers
  • Judges call earlier High Court decision “seriously flawed”
  • 138 asylum seekers will not need to be relocated by September 12
  • Full hearing scheduled at the Court of Appeal in October

A UK appeals court has overturned a lower court order that had temporarily blocked the use of a hotel in Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK migrant tutor posts

Seema Malhotra (Photo: Getty Images)

Government scraps tutor posts for detained migrants after backlash

HOME OFFICE minister Seema Malhotra has ordered the removal of UK government job advertisements for roles such as a balloon craft tutor, which were being offered to migrants held at a detention centre in London.

The intervention followed a report in The Sun newspaper highlighting job listings worth over £30,000 a year at the Heathrow Immigration Removal Centre (HIRC).

Keep ReadingShow less