Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian defence attaché now has unescorted access to Pentagon, says US Air Force Secretary

The Pentagon, the headquarters of the US Department of Defense, is considered one of the most difficult places to get access.

Indian defence attaché now has unescorted access to Pentagon, says US Air Force Secretary

Indian defence attaché now has unescorted access to the Pentagon, a top US Defense Department official has said.

Such a move is aligned with the trust and cooperation that we share with India, US Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said on at a reception hosted by India’s Ambassador to the US Taranjit Singh Sandhu at India House on Independence Day on Monday.


“As of today, the Indian (defence) attaché team now has unescorted access in the Pentagon which is commencement with our close relationship with India’s status as a major defence partner,” Kendall said.

“And if you don’t think unescorted access to the Pentagon is a big deal, I can’t get into the Pentagon without an escort,” he said.

The Pentagon, the headquarters of the US Department of Defense, is considered one of the most difficult places to get access. Even American citizens have no access to the building without high-level security clearances.

Kendall, who worked on Indian issues during the Obama administration, said it was a desire than to strengthen the bonds in the national security area.

“It turns out that India is the country with whom we do more joint exercises than any other country, have a long close relationship and we’ve been able to build it up and strengthen it over the years as we work together for integrated deterrence in the region and around the world,” he said.

The Defense Trade and Technology Initiative, he said, has grown over the years and is continuing to this day.

“We recently just a year ago started a new cooperative programme for unmanned aerial vehicles. We've been able to share technology and work together in any number of programs. So it's been a remarkable journey that I know will continue,” he said.

(PTI)

More For You

Harshita Brella

Harshita Brella

(photo: Northamptonshire Police)

Four police officers face misconduct charges in Harshita Brella murder case

Highlights

  • Four officers accused of misconduct over handling of Harshita Brella’s abuse reports.
  • Brella was found dead in a car boot in London last year; husband remains on the run.
  • Watchdog says detectives failed to review case properly or safeguard victim.
UK police watchdogs have ruled that four Northamptonshire Police officers should face misconduct proceedings over their handling of domestic abuse allegations made by Harshita Brella, the 24-year-old Indian woman later found murdered in London. Brella’s husband, Pankaj Lamba, remains the main suspect and is believed to have fled to India.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said on Monday that its investigation found failings in how the force responded after Brella contacted police on August ( 29) last year to report abuse by Lamba at their home in Corby, Northamptonshire. She had moved to the UK only months earlier after marrying Lamba in an arranged marriage.

Lamba was arrested on 3 September ,2024 and released on police bail with conditions not to contact his wife. He was also issued with a Domestic Violence Protection Order. However, on November (14) last year, Brella’s body was discovered in the boot of a Vauxhall Corsa in Ilford, east London. Police believe she was strangled at their home days earlier, on the evening of November(10) before her body was driven to the capital.

Keep ReadingShow less