Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India says Zoom "not a safe platform" for video conferencing

India said on Thursday (16) videoconferencing software Zoom is "not a safe platform", joining other countries that have expressed concern about the security of an application that has become hugely popular worldwide during the coronavirus lockdown.

US-based Zoom Video Communications Inc has apologised for security flaws and says it is working to fix them. Problems have included "Zoombombing", when uninvited users gatecrash a video conference.


Taiwan and Germany have already curbed the use of Zoom, while Google banned the desktop version from corporate laptops this month.

"Zoom is a not a safe platform," the Cyber Coordination Centre (CyCord) of India's ministry of home affairs said in a 16-page advisory.

Founder and chief executive Eric Yuan this month apologised for what he called falling short of "the community's – and our own – privacy and security expectations." The company was dedicating resources to identify and fix the issues, he added.

The Indian ministry provided a list of adjustments it advised users to make to Zoom software's security settings to provide better protection from unauthorised entry into virutal conference rooms and attacks on users' computers.

Zoom has enjoyed a surge in usage since the virus outbreak began, as millions of people use it to stay connected while isolating themselves. In March it had about 200 million people using its system every day, up from 10 million last year.

As India enforced a nationwide lockdown late last month to curb the spread of the coronavirus, Zoom's smartphone app saw a sharp surge in downloads.

Even some Indian government officials have held discussions with industry executives to discuss coronvirus relief measures via Zoom.

One media report this week said the Indian government was advising its ministers not to use third-party software for sensitive meetings.

More For You

Reeves faces tough test as Labour prepares 'tax-heavy' budget

Rachel Reeves speaks to the media during a visit to a branch of a Tesco supermarket in London on November 19, 2025. (Photo by LEON NEAL/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Reeves faces tough test as Labour prepares 'tax-heavy' budget

LABOUR government is braced for a major political and economic test on Wednesday (26) as chancellor Rachel Reeves prepares to deliver a budget expected to include tax rises, new support for households and measures aimed at stabilising public finances.

Prime minister Keir Starmer has promised a “Labour budget with Labour values”, built around easing the cost-of-living crisis, reducing NHS waiting lists and supporting families facing rising bills.

Keep ReadingShow less