Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India Pavilion opens in Cannes with a new name

The India Pavilion, rechristened the Bharat Pavilion, was formally opened on Wednesday morning at the 77th Cannes Film Festival.

India Pavilion opens in Cannes with a new name

The India Pavilion, rechristened the Bharat Pavilion, was formally opened on Wednesday morning at the 77th Cannes Film Festival.

Explaining the rationale behind the renaming, Mr. Sanjay Jaju, secretary of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, said: "It symbolises the country's assertion of its traditional storytelling practices while it actively looks for collaborations with the rest of the world." "India," Mr Jaju said, "is the sutradhar (narrator) of the world." The large Indian presence in the festival is a recognition of that status, the secretary added.


The astounding variety of films that India produces and the growing importance of the Diaspora combine to bolster the reach and impact of the nation's "soft touch", Mr. Jaju said, adding that he would refrain from using the word "power" in the context of Indian cinema.

"We are happy that India is back in the Cannes Competition with a film by a gifted young filmmaker," he said. "This festival is a platform for networking and collaborations that transcend geographical boundaries." Payal Kapadia's film, "All We Imagine as Light", is an Indo-French co-production." The inauguration was attended by, among others, Cannes Film Festival deputy artistic director Christian Jeune, Indian-Canadian filmmaker Richie Mehta (best known in India for the web shows "Delhi Crime" and "Poacher"), and Jawed Ashraf, Indian ambassador to France.

Mr Ashraf, in his address, said: "For many people, the Cannes Film Festival is about fashion and the red carpet, but more than anything else it is about cinema and the business of filmmaking." "The festival brings together the very best of world cinema and the work of filmmakers who will be the best in the future," Mr Ashraf added.

The substantial number of Indian films in the Cannes Film Festival this year, the ambassador added, is an acknowledgment of Indian cinema's growth in terms of diversity of genres, themes, and approaches.

More For You

Harry Potter

HBO's Harry Potter adaptation already has a second season confirmed, which was announced earlier this month

Harry Potter

Harry Potter to recast youngest Weasley as Gracie Cochrane exits after debut season

Highlights

  • Gracie Cochrane will not return as Ginny Weasley after season one.
  • HBO begins search for new actor to take over the role from season two.
  • Series starts Christmas Day with ambitious 10-year plan ahead.
Gracie Cochrane will leave her role as Ginny Weasley after the first season of HBO's Harry Potter television series.
The young actor, who got the part in August 2025, has decided to step away from the role due to unforeseen circumstances that have not been disclosed publicly.

"Gracie has made the challenging decision to step away from her role as Ginny Weasley in the HBO Harry Potter series after season one," her family said in a statement shared with Deadline.

"Her time as part of the Harry Potter world has been truly wonderful, and she is deeply grateful to Lucy Bevan and the entire production team for creating such an unforgettable experience. Gracie is very excited about the opportunities her future holds."

Keep ReadingShow less