Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

India likely to revive mega missile deal with Israel

The Indian army and the government are discussing ways to revive a $500 million order to buy Spike anti-tank guided missiles from Israel's state-owned defence contractor Rafael, military chief Bipin Rawat said Friday.

India recently called off the deal to procure 8,000 missiles, souring the build up to Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's visit to the country this week.


Rawat said the deal was scrapped after the state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) offered to manufacture similar missiles in line with premier Narendra Modi's pet 'Make in India' initiative.

"They (DRDO) said... why you are going for a missile that we are capable of manufacturing and can give you better results," Rawat said.

"That is what led to retracting of the RFP (request for proposal)."

Rawat said the DRDO missiles were yet to be tested and would not be ready till 2022, which could hit India's operational capabilities in the interim.

"So how do we bridge the gap between now and 2022? It's through the Spike.

"Rather than going whole hog we are in the discussion with the government" to fill in the gap he said.

"We can possibly look at a lesser number to meet the gap."

India has been investing tens of billions of dollars in updating its Soviet-era military hardware to counter long-standing tensions with regional rivals China and Pakistan.

Israel is a major weapons supplier to India, exporting an average of $1 billion of military equipment each year.

In April last year the two countries signed a military deal worth nearly $2 billion which includes the supply of medium-range surface-to-air missiles, launchers and communications technology.

But Modi has said he wants to end India's status as the world's number one defence importer and to have 70 percent of hardware manufactured domestically by the turn of the decade.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Defender Dakar

The Defender Dakar brings equipment developed for rally racing into a road-legal limited-run model

X handle/autocar

Land Rover’s wildest Defender yet is the Dakar racer you can actually drive on the road

  • The Defender Dakar gets a 626bhp twin-turbo V8.
  • Its 35-inch all-terrain tyres are fitted to forged 20-inch wheels.
  • Reservations are expected to open early next year.

Land Rover is taking one of its most extreme off-road machines out of the desert and onto the road, with the Defender Dakar turning technology developed for the Dakar Rally into a limited-run road-legal model.

Revealed at Monterey Car Week, the new Defender is based on the Defender Octa but incorporates a series of upgrades developed for JLR's works Dakar racer. It gets a 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 producing 626bhp and 553lb ft of torque, with power sent to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Keep ReadingShow less