Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India convicts two over 2007 blasts that killed 44

An Indian court on Tuesday (4) convicted two members of a banned Islamist militant group over bomb blasts in August 2007 in the southern city of Hyderabad that killed 44 people.

One explosion went off in an auditorium packed with families watching a laser show. Minutes later a second blast ripped through a congested street food stall in another part of the city.


Justice T. Srinivas Rao found Aneeq Shafique Sayeed and Mohammed Akbar Ismail Choudhury guilty and acquitted two others in the protracted case, a prosecution lawyer told reporters in Hyderabad.

The judge will announce sentences on Monday. The court is also likely to rule on the third accused, Tarik Anjum, who is charged with giving shelter to the bombers after the blasts.

"I demand that the accused be given the strictest punishment so that they understand the pain we are going through," a blast survivor told reporters outside the special court.

The men belonged to the Islamic militant group Indian Mujahideen, which police say is an offshoot of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India.

In 2011 the US included Indian Mujahideen in its official blacklist of foreign terrorist organisations.

The trial heard testimony from 170 witnesses before closing arguments were made last month.

Three others accused in the case including the main conspirator Riyaz Bhatkal remain at large.

More For You

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks to media as he reacts to the local Council Election results at AFC Wimbledon on May 9, 2026 in London, England.

(Photo by Alishia Abodunde/Getty Images)

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Highlights

  • Starmer says he will lead Labour into the next general election and serve a full second term
  • Catherine West, a former junior minister, says she has ten MPs behind her but hopes a stronger candidate will emerge
  • Labour suffered its worst local election losses by a governing party since 1995
  • More than 20 MPs have publicly or privately called on Starmer to quit

PRIME MINISTER Sir Keir Starmer is facing a direct challenge to his leadership after a former minister threatened to stand against him on Monday (11) unless his cabinet moves to replace him — but he has vowed to fight on, insisting his government is a "ten-year project".

Keep ReadingShow less