Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

In a 'chaotic' presidential debate Biden calls Trump a 'clown'

US president Donald Trump and his challenger Joe Biden have traded 'un-presidential' insults in one of the most chaotic and bitter White House debates in years on Tuesday (29).

Biden called the president a "clown" - twice. At one point, he apparently thought better of it.


Interrupted repeatedly by Trump, an exasperated Joe Biden resorted to insults and name-calling against an opponent who built his political career by coining belittling nicknames for his rivals.

"You're the worst president America has ever had," Biden said during a back-and-forth on taxes.

The insults featured heavily during a chaotic encounter in which Trump often talked over Biden and moderator Chris Wallace. Biden's frustrations were frequently apparent.

Following the debate, election betting odds on Betfair Exchange, the operator of the world's largest online betting bourse, showed Biden's probability of winning at 60 per cent, up from 56 per cent before the debate. Trump has a 40 per cent probability of victory.

Biden, 77, has held a consistent lead over Trump, 74, in opinion polls, although surveys in the battleground states that will decide the election show a closer contest.

Fierce arguments

Trump repeatedly interrupted Biden in the Cleveland debate, the first ahead of the Nov. 3 vote, as the rival candidates traded barbs over Trump's taxes, the economy, the coronavirus pandemic and the integrity of the election.

"Will you shut up, man? This is so unpresidential," Biden said to Trump during a segment on the Supreme Court.

"The fact is this man doesn't know what he's talking about," Biden said during a discussion on healthcare.

"It's hard to get any word in with this clown, excuse me, this person," Biden during an exchange about taxes.

The former vice president called Trump a "racist" for banning racial-sensitivity training in his administration.

He called Trump "Putin's puppy," needling him for not confronting Russia about allegedly putting bounties on US soldiers. Trump tried to object, but was reprimanded by Wallace for speaking out of turn.

On Twitter and at campaign rallies, Trump has called Biden "Sleepy Joe," an apparent dig at the 77-year-old Democrat's vitality. He did not use the nickname on Tuesday.

The president brought up Biden's son's struggles with drugs and mocked his opponent's academic performance at the University of Delaware, where according to the Washington Post, Biden graduated 506th in a class of 688.

"He was the lowest or almost the lowest in your class. Don't ever use the word smart with me," Trump said. "Because you know what, there's nothing smart about you, Joe."

Biden said he was proud of his son Hunter for overcoming addiction.

Trump also suggested that Biden could not drum up enough interest to hold large in-person rallies, when Biden criticized him for flouting social-distancing rules at campaign events.

"If you could get the crowds, you would have done the same thing," Trump said.

More For You

house-rent-iStock

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings. (Photo: iStock)

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less
Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

Lord Paul's portrait inside the West Chapel

Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

FAMILY and friends offered their final eulogies to Lord Swraj Paul at his funeral at Golders Green Crematorium in north London on Wednesday (27).

It had rained earlier in the morning, but by the time mourners emerged from the West Chapel after a simple and dignified 40-minute service, led by Dr MN Nandakumara, executive director of the Bhavan in West Kensington, the sun had come out.

Keep ReadingShow less
H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less
Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Starmer to replace top aide Nin Pandit after 10 months

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.

Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.

Keep ReadingShow less