Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Hundreds rally outside BBC over Hamas coverage

Defence minister Grant Shapps said last week that the BBC should follow the “law” and call Hamas a terrorist organisation

Hundreds rally outside BBC over Hamas coverage

Around 250 protesters gathered outside the BBC's main headquarters in London on Monday (16) to express their dissatisfaction with the British broadcaster's refusal to label Hamas as terrorists.

Demonstrators at the event, organised by Jewish groups, chanted "Hamas, terrorists" and "Shame on You" at the broadcaster for making the editorial decision to refer to Hamas as militants, or a militant group.


Many waved Israeli flags and others held posters carrying pictures of Israeli children kidnapped by Hamas.

Organisers, the National Jewish Assembly, wrote on Twitter that "this is no time the BBC to call Hamas anything but terrorists."

Defence minister Grant Shapps also said last week that the BBC should follow the "law" and call Hamas a terrorist organisation, with the government having proscribed it as such in 2021.

But veteran reporter John Simpson, the BBC's world affairs editor, said that the corporation would be "taking sides" if it called Hamas terrorists.

The BBC said in a statement on Monday that it had given "careful consideration" to its coverage of conflict.

"Careful consideration has been given to all aspects of our coverage to ensure that we report on developments accurately and with due impartiality in line with the BBC editorial guidelines, which are publicly available.

"The BBC, along with many other UK and global news organisations, does use the word 'terrorist', but attributes it. We have made clear to our audiences that Hamas is proscribed as a terrorist organisation by the UK and other governments," it added.

Pro-Palestinian groups have also targeted the BBC, covering Broadcasting House headquarters in red paint last week and accusing it of having "blood on its hands."

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Virgin Trains

Virgin Trains plans to run new services from London St Pancras to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.

iStock

Eurostar could finally face a serious rival as Virgin Trains secures Channel Tunnel access

  • Virgin Trains has secured regulatory approval for up to 20 daily return services through the Channel Tunnel.
  • The proposed routes would connect London with Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam from October 2030.
  • The company plans to invest £700m and create about 400 UK jobs.

Virgin Trains has taken a significant step towards challenging Eurostar’s long-standing grip on cross-Channel passenger rail, securing track access approval for new services between London, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam from 2030.

The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) has approved an agreement allowing Sir Richard Branson’s company to run up to 20 daily return services through the Channel Tunnel. The agreement covers the period from October 1, 2030 to December 31, 2040.

Keep ReadingShow less