Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Hinduja Group's Switch Mobility likely to go public in the US

Hinduja Group's Switch Mobility likely to go public in the US

HINDUJA GROUP firm Ashok Leyland is working with bankers on a potential merger of its electric bus company, Switch Mobility, with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) in the US, reports said.

The plans could see Switch Mobility valued upto $2 billion (£1.4bn), reported Sky News.


Chaired by former Aston Martin boss Andy Palmer, Hindujas first bought a stake in Switch Mobility in 2010. It changed its name from Optare in November last year.

It has contracts with bus operators in cities including London and York, and more than 150 of its vehicles are already in service in the UK.

A SPAC, also known as 'blank check companies', is a company with no commercial operations that is formed strictly to raise capital through an initial public offering (IPO) for the purpose of acquiring an existing company.

Dheeraj Hinduja, Ashok Leyland's chairman, said last year that the company, which is majority-owned by Hinduja companies, was looking to bring all of its EV initiatives under the Switch Mobility umbrella.

"This strategy reflects the clear growth opportunities in the global LCV (light commercial vehicle) and bus EV market, which is projected to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of more than 25 per cent and to be worth in the region of $50bn by 2030," he said.

"To capture part of that market, we are considering EV initiatives through Switch that could include financial participation and strategic tie-ups."

Britain's second-richest family, the fortune of Hindujas was estimated by last year's Sunday Times Rich List at £16bn.

According to reports, Arrival, the Banbury-based electric van and bus-maker, is poised to float in America via a Spac in a $5.4 billion deal.

Other British companies which are reportedly eyeing floats in America via SPACs are used-car website Cazoo and healthcare app Babylon.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

ChatGPT for teenagers

OpenAI is introducing a separate ChatGPT experience designed to make AI use safer for teenagers

iStock

Would you let your teenager talk to ChatGPT alone? OpenAI is adding new safeguards

  • ChatGPT for Teens is designed for users aged 13 to 17.
  • The new version restricts self-harm, sexual and romantic content and discourages emotional attachment to the chatbot.
  • Parents can set quiet hours and receive limited safety alerts when high-risk situations arise.

Would you let your teenager talk to an AI chatbot on their own? That question is becoming harder to ignore as teenagers turn to artificial intelligence not just for homework, but also for everyday questions and companionship. OpenAI has now launched ChatGPT for Teens, a version aimed at users aged 13 to 17 with stronger protections around some of the risks associated with younger users.

The new experience places tighter restrictions around topics including suicide, self-harm, eating disorders and romantic or sexual conversations. It is also designed to stop the chatbot from suggesting that it has feelings for a teenager, or that it is conscious and capable of experiencing emotions.

Keep ReadingShow less