Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Sunak announces ban on disposable vapes

The government cited recent figures showing the proportion of vapers under the age of 18 who use disposables has increased almost ninefold in the last two years

Sunak announces ban on disposable vapes

The government is set to implement new legislation to prohibit single-use e-cigarettes or vapes as a measure to address the increasing trend of vaping among young people, prime minister Rishi Sunak announced on Monday (29).

"As any parent or teacher knows, one of the most worrying trends at the moment is the rise in vaping among children, and so we must act before it becomes endemic," Sunak said ahead of the official announcement of his plan.


"I am taking bold action to ban disposable vapes -– which have driven the rise in youth vaping –- and bring forward new powers to restrict vape flavours, introduce plain packaging and change how vapes are displayed in shops," he added.

The government cited recent figures showing the proportion of vapers under the age of 18 who use disposables has increased almost ninefold in the last two years.

Sunak's government also plans to introduce fines for shops in England and Wales that sell vapes illegally to children.

Health experts welcomed the proposal, with Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty saying the legislation would have "a major public health impact across many future generations."

Sunak last year proposed plans to eventually make the UK a smoke-free nation.

His proposal would make it an offence for anyone born on or after 1 January 2009 to be sold tobacco products –- effectively raising the smoking age by a year each year until it applies to the whole population, a statement by Downing Street office said.

"I propose that in future, we raise the smoking age by one year every year. That means a 14-year-old today will never legally be sold a cigarette, and that they and their generation can grow up smoke-free," Sunak told his Conservative Party's annual conference in October.

At present, the purchase age for tobacco products in England and Wales is 18.

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

honour-terror-survivors

Prime minister Andy Burnham delivers closing remarks at an event in central London to mark the first National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism on August 21, 2026.

(Photo by Carl Court / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

Britain honours terror survivors as Burnham vows: ‘We will fight for you’

Highlights

  • National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism to be held every August 21
  • Burnham says survivors often live with trauma long after the public moves on
  • Government promises changes to support, compensation and legal assistance
  • New 24/7 Support Hub offers specialist help to people affected by terrorism

FOR MANY victims and survivors of terrorism, life does not return to normal when the headlines fade. Grief, injuries and trauma can remain long after the rest of the country has moved on.

Keep ReadingShow less