Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Former UBS Trader Jailed For Britain's Biggest Fraud Deported To Ghana

Former UBS trader Kweku Adoboli who jailed for Britain's biggest fraud over unauthorised trades that cost the Swiss bank $2.3 billion, has been deported to Ghana, his spokesman said.

Adoboli was put on a commercial flight from Heathrow on Wednesday (14) after being detained in Scotland earlier in the week, the spokesman said.


Adoboli's case made global headlines when he was arrested in 2011 and tried in 2012 over the huge losses to UBS, caused by trades far in excess of his authorised risk limits which he pretended to hedge by booking fictitious off-setting trades.

A Ghanaian national who has lived in Britain since he was 12, Adoboli, now 38, was released from prison on probation in 2015 after serving half of a seven-year sentence.

A spokesman for the interior ministry declined to comment directly on Adoboli's case, but said, "all foreign nationals who are given a custodial sentence will be considered for deportation."

Adoboli has been living in Scotland with his two godsons and their parents, and had garnered support from locals and lawmakers for his bid to stay.

Born in Ghana in 1980, Adoboli moved to Jerusalem with his family in 1984 when his father, a United Nations official, was posted there. The family later moved to Syria, and Adoboli never lived in Ghana again apart from during a short stint when the family had to leave Damascus because of the first Gulf War.

In 1992, aged 12, he was sent to a Quaker boarding school in Yorkshire, northern England. He has lived in Britain ever since.

Reuters

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

ArcelorMittal

A Russian missile strike has damaged ArcelorMittal’s steel plant in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine.

ArcelorMittal (REUTERS/David W Cerny/File Photo)

Russia hits Lakshmi Mittal's Ukraine steel plant as missile strike kills two

  • Two people were killed and 13 injured after the strike on the plant.
  • Energy and blast furnace facilities were damaged in the attack.
  • The steelworks was previously hit by a Russian missile strike in 2022.

Russia’s missile war has hit one of Ukraine’s biggest industrial businesses, with ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, the steel plant owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal, partially halting production after an overnight strike.

Two people were killed and 13 employees and contractors were injured after the plant in Kryvyi Rih, central Ukraine, was hit by a Russian missile on the night of Sunday (16), according to the company.

Keep ReadingShow less