Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Dismay as Church of England finds ‘racial justice expensive’

Dismay as Church of England finds ‘racial justice expensive’

THE Church of England (C of E) has dismissed a plan to appoint 42 ‘racial justice officers’ (RJOs) after archbishops said they could not afford to create the roles, it was reported last weekend.

The proposal for RJOs was a key recommendation in a report, From Lament to Action, which said the church had to take urgent action to tackle “racial sin” in its ranks.


The report recommended creating posts of RJOs in every diocese and suggested it be funded centrally for five years.

The analysis, published in April, warned further inaction would force many black and ethnic minority worshippers to leave for other churches.

However, the C of E has now said the proposal is too expensive. The Archbishops’ Council, one of the C of E’s main executive bodies, argued the “need to reduce costs in diocesan and national administration” meant it could not implement RJOs across dioceses.

The Archbishop of York, the Most Rev Stephen Cottrell, said: “The Archbishops’ Council has concluded it cannot support this recommendation in this formulation at this time, given the need to reduce costs in diocesan and national administration.”

“The aspiration for a full-time RJO in every diocese is something the national church would have liked to support. But we think more work is needed to think through how to drive change at all levels of church life and what role dedicated diocesan officers might have.”

Campaigners who wanted to tackle racism within the church expressed their “shock and disappointment” at the news.

Rev Arun Arora, co-chairman of the anti-racism taskforce, also lamented the decision. “It’s rather like sending your opening batsmen to the crease only for them to find that before the first ball is bowled, their bats have been broken by the team captain,” he told The Times.

“It was something of a shock and disappointment to learn … that there are no plans to implement one of our key proposals … The failure to resource this work and these recommendations will inevitably lead to conclusions as to how much or little this matters to decision-makers in the church.”

Elizabeth Henry, former C of E race adviser until last year, described the outcome as “a slap in the face”.

“To say it’s too costly is a gross insult,” Henry remarked. “It’s to say racial justice is too expensive when it is a foundation of our faith. This decision is a disgrace.”

In response, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, admitted ethnic minorities had been “bullied, overlooked, undermined and excluded” within the church and promised to take action.

Alongside their suggestion to implement RJOs, the report set out an array of other recommendations across five “priority” areas: participation, governance, training, education, and young people.

Among the additional suggestions put forward were shortlists for jobs in the church to include at least one appointable UKME (United Kingdom Minority Ethnic) candidate and recruitment bodies to provide “valid, publishable reasons” for failure to include UKME candidates on shortlists.

The anti-racism taskforce was set up last year by the archbishops of Canterbury and York to ensure changes were made to achieve greater racial justice and equality in the C of E.

More For You

London migrant hotel protest
People demonstrate near the Bell Hotel on July 20, 2025 in Epping, England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Government moves to overturn hotel migrant housing ban

Highlights:

  • Government appeals against injunction blocking asylum housing at Bell Hotel in Epping
  • More than 32,000 asylum seekers currently housed in UK hotels
  • Labour pledges to end hotel use for asylum seekers before 2029 election

THE UK government on Thursday asked the Court of Appeal to lift a ban on housing asylum seekers at a hotel that has faced protests, warning the order could set "a precedent".

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

Ranil Wickremesinghe with his wife Maithree

Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

THREE former presidents of Sri Lanka expressed solidarity with jailed ex-leader Ranil Wickremesinghe last Sunday (24) and condemned his incarceration as a “calculated assault” on democracy.

The former political rivals of Wickremesinghe, who was president between July 2022 and September 2024, said the charges against him were frivolous and politically motivated.

Keep ReadingShow less
Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

Louise Jones and Jeevun Sandher (Photo: Facebook)

Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

TWO of Labour’s newest MPs, Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones, have announced their marriage after a week-long celebration that combined Sikh and Christian traditions.

Sandher, elected last year as MP for Loughborough, and Jones, MP for North East Derbyshire, tied the knot earlier this month in ceremonies that reflected their different cultural backgrounds. The couple shared photographs on social media, calling the occasion a celebration of “two heritages” as they began their life together.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

Figures show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024 (Photo:iStock)

UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

INDIAN nationals have recorded the sharpest increase in convictions for sexual offences among foreign nationals in the UK, according to an analysis of official government data.

Figures from the UK Ministry of Justice, based on the Police National Computer and assessed by the Centre for Migration Control (CMC), show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024. The number of cases rose from 28 in 2021 to 100 last year — an increase of 72 cases.

Keep ReadingShow less
pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less