Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Dialogue with Pakistan can start the day it stops terror says Sushma Swaraj

India will start dialogue with Pakistan the day it stops promoting terrorism against this country, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said in Parliament today (3), while making it clear that terror and talks cannot go together.

A combative Swaraj rejected the Opposition contention that the Modi government has no policy with regard to Pakistan, asserting that it had laid the "roadmap" envisioning peace and normalcy even before it took over.


"But it can't be one-sided... Terror and talks cannot go together. The day they stop promoting terror, we will start the talks," she said replying to a discussion on "India's foreign policy and engagement with strategic partners".

"You are asking what is our Pakistan roadmap? We had declared it even before the swearing-in. We had invited prime ministers of all the neighbouring countries and all came...

Bilateral meetings were also held and I was present," Swaraj said.

She recalled that the then prime minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif along with leaders of all other neighbouring countries had been invited to the swearing-in ceremony of the Modi government in May 2014.

Since then, the relations with Pakistan have been witnessing ups and downs, she said.

The external affairs minister said when she visited Pakistan for the 'Heart of Asia Conference' on December 9,2015, Sharif had said the dialogue should be started in a new format and it was given the name of Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue.

Afterwards, Modi went to Lahore as part of that initiative, taking an 'out-of-box' decision, she said.

The relations with Pakistan were at such height that on December 25, 2015, when Modi wished Sharif on his birthday, the Pakistani leader asked him to greet him personally. Modi then visited Lahore to do so, putting protocol aside.

She said even after the terror attack on Pathankot Airbase on January 1,2016, Pakistan, shedding its past practice of being in denial, set up an investigating team to probe it.

"The story changed after (the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander) Burhan Wani (in an encounter) when they (Pakistan) declared him as a martyr," Swaraj said.

She also slammed the Congress for questioning the Modi government's foreign policy, telling the Opposition party that all the concerns that it was talking about now were born during the previous UPA rule.

"You are the ones who gave birth to the concerns raised now," she said.

She praised former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, saying he had done good work at international level.

However, while Nehru enhanced his personal image, the present prime minister is enhancing the country's image through his efforts across the world.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less