Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Cash-rich IPL gambles on return to 'spirit of cricket'

The billionaire Indian Premier League starts Saturday aiming to prove that it is about the "spirit of cricket" rather than success at all costs, after the banning of Steve Smith and David Warner over a Test cheating storm.

The lucrative but scandal-tainted Twenty20 tournament has spent the last few years battling its own series of controversies.


So when news broke that Smith and Warner -- who had both been due to captain IPL teams -- had been barred by Cricket Australia for 12 months over last month's ball-tampering row in South Africa, India's cricket board quickly followed suit.

With Smith's side, the Rajasthan Royals, returning from a two-year corruption ban, they could not afford to have kept their disgraced skipper.

Along with the Chennai Super Kings, the Royals are one of two franchises back in the Indian league this season after a two-year hiatus for separate illegal betting scandals.

Meanwhile IPL founder Lalit Modi remains in self-imposed exile in Britain, refusing to return to India to face corruption charges.

For the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which earns huge sums from the lucrative Twenty20 tournament, the desire to avoid further controversy is clear.

"The BCCI hopes that the cricketers participating in the IPL hold the highest regard for the spirit of cricket and code of conduct for players and match officials," it said at the height of the Australia cheating storm.

Warner -- charged with masterminding the Cape Town ball-tampering plot -- has also been dropped from his IPL team, the Sunrisers Hyderabad.

- 'Gentleman's game' -

Rising Indian stars have been made well aware of the need to redeem cricket's image in its stronghold country.

"There is always a lot to learn from everything, but I always believe that cricket is a gentleman's game," Delhi Daredevils wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant said this week when asked about the Australia scandal.

"The sport should be played in the same spirit."

Despite the troubles, the IPL's appeal is on the rise. Rupert Murdoch's Star India signed a five-year $2.55 billion broadcast deal for IPL rights last year that gave a new boost to the coffers of the world's wealthiest cricket board.

And the pyrotechnics, cheerleaders and huge pay cheques have still attracted top foreign stars to play in India's sweltering heat.

"The IPL towers over everything in cricket, and among cricketers, although that is not all that matters," noted Australian writer Gideon Haigh.

"India also has a sharp appetite for national success and prestige, which IPL also gratifies, but on its own cannot meet.

"This will continue to underpin support for and engagement with Virat Kohli's team," he said.

- 'One man's loss' -

The player auction held ahead of the new season was another show of India's riches.

England allrounder Ben Stokes will again be the player to watch after being bought by the Royals for $1.96 million in the January sale.

New Zealand's Kane Williamson will be in the spotlight after being appointed Hyderabad's captain. Warner led the side to the IPL title in 2016.

Williamson is now the only foreign captain in the eight-team league once dominated by imports.

Test player-turned-commentator Aakash Chopra believes the tournament will not lose its sheen despite losing two top performers. He insists that new stars will rise.

"The IPL is a fantastic tournament, everybody forgets. You only focus on who is there. The charm will remain. Life goes on, cricket carries on. One man's loss is another man's opportunity," said Chopra.

The Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led Super Kings will open the tournament, with its $8 million in prize money, against holders the Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium on Saturday night.

The eight team tournament runs through to May 27 when the battle for the four million dollar first prize will be held in Mumbai.

More For You

India and England unveil Women’s World Cup squads with shock calls

Harmanpreet Kaur

India and England unveil Women’s World Cup squads with shock calls

INDIA and England have named their squads for the upcoming Women’s World Cup, with several surprise selections and omissions, highlighting the competitive nature of the tournament.

India’s squad announcement brought disappointment for explosive opener Shafali Verma, who was left out after a poor run of form. The 21-year-old, who last played a oneday international in October 2024, has managed just one half-century in six innings for India A.

Keep ReadingShow less
Naga Munchetty urges women to prioritise their health

Naga Munchetty

Naga Munchetty urges women to prioritise their health

WHEN broadcaster and journalist Naga Munchetty began speaking openly about her experiences with adenomyosis and debilitating menstrual pain, the response was overwhelming.

Emails and messages poured in from women who had endured years of dismissal, silence and shame when it came to their health. That outpouring became the driving force behind her new book, It’s Probably Nothing, which calls for women to be heard and to advocate for themselves in a medical system that has too often ignored them.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

Ranil Wickremesinghe with his wife Maithree

Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

THREE former presidents of Sri Lanka expressed solidarity with jailed ex-leader Ranil Wickremesinghe last Sunday (24) and condemned his incarceration as a “calculated assault” on democracy.

The former political rivals of Wickremesinghe, who was president between July 2022 and September 2024, said the charges against him were frivolous and politically motivated.

Keep ReadingShow less
Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift

Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Highlights:

  • NFL star Travis Kelce set to give Taylor Swift an unusual engagement present
  • His horse Swift Delivery lines up for a £2m (₹20.8 crore) race in Kentucky
  • The four-time winning horse is co-owned with Gary Barber and Team Valor International
  • Fans and racing circles are watching closely after the couple’s engagement announcement

American football star Travis Kelce's engagement news has sparked worldwide attention, but the Kansas City Chiefs tight end has another reason to celebrate. His racehorse, aptly named Swift Delivery, will run in the £2 million (₹20.8 crore) Mint Millions Invitational at Kentucky Downs next month. Coming just weeks after Kelce confirmed his engagement to pop superstar Taylor Swift, the timing has added to the buzz.

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Keep ReadingShow less
Shah Rukh Khan &  Kinshuk Sen’s

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance

Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Kinshuk Sen says Shah Rukh Khan’s words on Palash Sen turned his DDLJ musical debut into a family full-circle moment

Highlights:

  • Palash Sen’s son Kinshuk Sen stars in Aditya Chopra’s Come Fall in Love – The DDLJ Musical
  • The UCLA graduate plays Kuljeet, originally portrayed by Parmeet Sethi in the 1995 classic
  • The stage show has travelled from the US to the UK, earning praise from diverse audiences
  • Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London and shared a personal memory with Kinshuk

Kinshuk Sen, son of celebrated singer Palash Sen, has stepped into the spotlight with Aditya Chopra’s DDLJ musical, Come Fall in Love. The UCLA graduate, who once pursued cognitive science, now plays the role of Kuljeet in the global stage adaptation of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. In a recent conversation, he shared how the journey from research labs to live theatre unfolded, and what it meant when Shah Rukh Khan recognised him with a message linking back to his father.

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Keep ReadingShow less