Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Booming Bollywood comes home for 'Oscars' 20th edition

Mumbai hosts the The international Indian film academy awards (IIFA) - known as the "Bollywood Oscars" for the first time in India in 20 years this week with the megastars, movers and shakers of a booming Hindi film industry celebrating another bumper year, including in huge markets like China.

With nearly 1,800 titles released in 2018, the South Asian country is the biggest film industry in the world in terms of movies made, its flicks wowing viewers from Australia to Afghanistan to Africa.


The industry grew 12.2 per cent in 2018, which included not only Hindi-language -- Bollywood -- movies, but also titles in regional languages like Tamil and Telugu, according to a report released in March by Ernst & Young and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry.

The huge South Asian diaspora in North America, Britain and the Gulf region has traditionally been the major overseas market.

Bollywood blockbuster releases in parts of North America and Britain are huge events, with passionate fans often queueing for hours just to catch a glimpse of stars like Shah Rukh Khan.

But Indian films have also been making huge inroads elsewhere -- most notably in China.

The black comedy Andhadhun, for example, nominated for best picture at the glitzy Indian International Film Academy Awards on Wednesday, was a huge hit with Chinese viewers, grossing almost $50 million.

Aamir Khan, the star of the two top-grossing Indian films in China, has a crazed following there and is known by many as "Nan Shen" ("male god").

Film distributor Akshaye Rathi told AFP that the industry has also seen "great growth" in many European countries and in Canada, New Zealand and Singapore thanks to the South Asian community.

"Now it is just a matter of time before we focus on the wider populations in these countries," Rathi added.

And not forgetting 1.3 billion-strong India itself, where there is massive potential for growth.

According to the Ernst & Young analysis, industry revenues are estimated to swell from 174.5 billion rupees ($2.4 billion) in 2018 to 236.1 billion rupees in 2021.

- A shot in the arm -

As the other nominees for best picture at the IIFA -- spy thriller Raazi, swashbuckling epic Padmaavat, and middle-aged motherhood comedy-drama Badhaai Ho -- underline, Bollywood has long ago moved on from the cliched all-singing, all-dancing affair.

The industry has also been attracting big, institutional capital and fresh talent, which have helped create greater variety and reaching out to wider, often younger, audiences.

There were fears for the industry when major streaming services arrived in India a few years ago, changing the way many Indians consume films.

But the likes of Netflix and domestic players like Hotstar have instead been a shot in its arm, providing a new medium for releasing films and more money for new productions.

Unlike regular cinematic releases, they are not subject to India's notoriously stuffy censors.

Revenues from the sale of digital rights ballooned nearly 60 per cent in 2018, according to the EY-FICCI report, with Amazon Prime and Netflix among the major buyers.

The major streaming giants have started producing original Indian content, splashing out on big-money titles.

Netflix, for example, recruited Bollywood superstars Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Saif Ali Khan for its acclaimed series "Sacred Games".

Last week, the streaming giant linked up with Karan Johar, one of the highest-profile producers in Bollywood, to produce films and series exclusively for its platform.

"It's going to be P.H.A.T -- pretty hot and tempting," said Johar.

More For You

Camila Cabello corset mishap

Camila Cabello keeps performing after her corset came undone mid-song in Taiwan

Instagram/camila_cabello

Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Highlights:

  • Camila Cabello suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her corset popped open mid-performance.
  • The singer admitted to panicking but continued the show without missing a beat.
  • She later addressed the moment on Instagram, joking about the mishap.
  • The Kaohsiung, Taiwan, concert marked the start of the Asia leg of her Yours, C world tour.

Camila Cabello faced an unexpected wardrobe malfunction when her pale-pink corset popped open during a performance on her Yours, C world tour. The Señorita hitmaker went into “panic” mode as the top came undone while she sang Chanel No. 5, but she managed to keep her composure on stage. The moment quickly trended online, with fans praising her professionalism.

Camila Cabello corset mishap Camila Cabello signalled her team for help as she continued dancing with fans cheering her onInstagram/camila_cabello

Keep ReadingShow less
meghan markle

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly working on a Netflix documentary about Princess Diana for 2027

Getty Images

Netflix reportedly in talks with Harry and Meghan for Princess Diana documentary with insiders calling it a royal bombshell

Highlights:

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle extend Netflix deal after £100 million (₹1,054 crore) contract ends.
  • Princess Diana documentary being discussed for 2027, marking 30 years since her death.
  • Netflix given first rights to Sussexes’ new shows under fresh “first look” deal.
  • Meghan’s lifestyle series With Love, Meghan returns for a second season despite mixed reviews.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are in talks with Netflix for a new project centred on Princess Diana, with plans to release a documentary in 2027. The proposal forms part of their renewed “first look” deal with the streaming giant, following the end of their original £100 million (₹1,054 crore) partnership. The late princess remains a powerful secondary figure in the Sussexes’ story, and this project could be one of their most significant ventures yet.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly working on a Netflix documentary about Princess Diana for 2027Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
Coolie box office collection

Rajinikanth's Coolie which has crossed £430m worldwide in just nine days

Instagram/sunpictures

Rajinikanth’s 'Coolie' beats Vijay’s 'GOAT' at worldwide box office with £430m becoming the fifth biggest Tamil blockbuster

Highlights:

  • Rajinikanth’s Coolie crosses the £430m (₹457 crore) mark at the worldwide box office in nine days
  • The film has now overtaken Vijay’s GOAT to become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film ever
  • Strong overseas earnings from the UK, US and Australia boosted its box office performance
  • Directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj, the film stars Rajinikanth, Nagarjuna, Shruti Haasan and Aamir Khan in a cameo

Rajinikanth’s Coolie has emerged as one of the biggest Tamil blockbusters of 2025, with its worldwide box office collection crossing £430m (₹457 crore) in just nine days. The film, which has been a major talking point in Tamil cinema, has not only dominated the Indian market but also broken records in overseas territories such as the UK, US, and Australia. By surpassing Vijay’s The Greatest Of All Time (GOAT), Coolie has now become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film of all time.

Coolie box office collection Coolie overtakes Vijay’s GOAT to become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film of all time Instagram/sunpictures

Keep ReadingShow less
Margot Robbie motherhood

Margot Robbie described motherhood as “the best” during an interview promoting her new film

Getty Images

Margot Robbie keeps baby name secret as she calls motherhood the best and admits outsiders find it boring to hear

Highlights:

  • Margot Robbie describes motherhood as “the best” in her first public comments since welcoming a son
  • The 35-year-old and her husband Tom Ackerley quietly welcomed their baby boy in October 2024
  • The couple, married since 2016, have not revealed their son’s name or exact birth date
  • Robbie is currently promoting her new film A Big Bold Beautiful Journey alongside Colin Farrell

Margot Robbie has spoken publicly about becoming a mother for the first time, calling motherhood “the best.” The Barbie and Birds of Prey star, who welcomed her baby boy with husband Tom Ackerley in October 2024, admitted that parenthood is hard to explain to non-parents. In her candid remarks while promoting her upcoming film A Big Bold Beautiful Journey, Robbie said the joy of having a child is something that “doesn’t need much explaining” to those who have experienced it.

Margot Robbie motherhood Margot Robbie described motherhood as “the best” during an interview promoting her new film Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone

Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years

Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Daniel Day-Lewis comeback film ‘Anemone’ sparks “nepo baby” debate as trailer reveals dark family drama

Highlights:

  • First trailer for Anemone shows Daniel Day-Lewis returning to screen after eight years
  • The family drama is directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis and co-stars Sean Bean and Samantha Morton
  • The film premieres at the New York Film Festival in September before releasing in cinemas on 3 October
  • Produced by Brad Pitt’s Plan B and Focus Features, the film explores fractured family ties and past trauma

Daniel Day-Lewis has officially ended his eight-year retirement with the release of the Anemone trailer, marking his long-awaited screen comeback. The three-time Oscar winner last appeared in Phantom Thread (2017), after which he announced he would no longer act. With Anemone, directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis, he returns in a brooding family drama set in Northern England that also features Sean Bean and Samantha Morton.

Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Keep ReadingShow less