Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Blasphemy case: Death sentence for Pakistan’s Christian couple overturned

Blasphemy case: Death sentence for Pakistan’s Christian couple overturned

A PAKISTANI court on Thursday (3) ordered the release of a Christian couple sentenced to death for blasphemy, lawyers said, weeks after the European Parliament criticised the country over the case.

Shafqat Emmanuel and Shagufta Kausar were jailed in 2014 after being convicted of sending a text message insulting Prophet Mohammed -- despite both being illiterate.


The couple's lawyer, Saif ul Malook, said they had been acquitted on appeal at Lahore Supreme Court.

"I am very happy that we were able to get the release of this couple who are some of the most helpless people in our society," said Malook, who expects them to be freed next week after the court orders are published.

Prosecutor Chaudhry Ghulam Mustafa also said the married couple had been acquitted.

Blasphemy is a sensitive issue in Pakistan, where anyone deemed to have insulted Islam can face the death penalty and the whiff of even unproven allegations can lead to mob lynchings and vigilante murders.

Rights campaigners say accusations are often made to settle personal disputes.

Kausar and Emmanuel were convicted following a complaint by a shopkeeper who claimed to have seen the text message.

In April, the European Parliament voted through a motion condemning Pakistan for failing to protect religious minorities, including Ahmadis, Shiites, Hindus, Christians and Sikhs.

It said several dozen people are currently in prison on blasphemy charges.

"The situation in Pakistan continued to deteriorate in 2020 as the government systematically enforced blasphemy laws and failed to protect religious minorities from abuses," the resolution said.

Kausar and Emmanuel's case was of particular concern, it added, and urged the authorities to "immediately and unconditionally" overturn the death sentence.

The parliament also called for a review of Pakistan's GSP+ status, which removes import duties from products coming into the European Union from developing countries in return for agreements on issues such as human rights and labour rights.

The couple hails from the town of Gojra, west of Lahore, which has a history of violence against the minority.

In 2009, a mob attacked a Christian neighbourhood there, burning 77 houses and killing at least seven people after rumours that a Koran had been desecrated.

Defence lawyer Malook also helped overturn the case against Asia Bibi, who drew international attention for being the first woman in Pakistan to be sentenced to death by hanging for blasphemy.

The acquittal triggered violent protests by religious hardliners in 2018 and she later moved to Canada fearing for her life.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Fruits and vegetables

Britain’s reliance on imported fruit and vegetables could make food prices more vulnerable to climate shocks

iStock

Britain’s fruit bowl could be at risk as climate change hits the countries it relies on

  • Around 40 per cent of Britain’s food is imported, including 80 per cent of its fruit.
  • The UK is already seeing domestic crops affected by heatwaves, drought and wildfires.
  • Researchers warn climate pressures could make fresh food more expensive and harder to secure.

Britain is increasingly exposed to that risk because it relies heavily on imported fruit and vegetables, including from countries that are themselves facing growing pressure from rising temperatures, drought and extreme weather.

Around 40 per cent of the UK's food is imported, according to a new report from the Food Foundation. The figure rises to 80 per cent for fruit and 47 per cent for vegetables, leaving Britain particularly dependent on overseas growers for some of the fresh foods people buy most often.

Keep ReadingShow less