Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

BBC receives more than 200 'racism' complaints over presenter's comment on England’s all-white Lionesses

The all-white team point towards a lack of diversity in the women's game in England.

BBC receives more than 200 'racism' complaints over presenter's comment on England’s all-white Lionesses

THE BBC received more than 200 'racism' complaints over comments made by one of its football presenters about England's Euros 2022 women’s team, The Telegraph reported.

TV broadcaster Eilidh Barbour said that England’s all-white Lionesses highlights the lack of diversity in the women’s game while discussing the team's 8-0 win against Norway.


“It was an historic eight goal victory for England last night as the Lionesses secured their place in the quarter finals. But all starting 11 players and the five substitutes that came on to the pitch were all white. And that does point towards a lack of diversity in the women’s game in England," Barbour, the former semi-professional with Partick Thistle FC, was quoted as saying by Telegraph.

Her comments came during the half-time of Denmark v Finland, ahead of a segment by former England player Alex Scott, which focused on the diversity of the national team.

However, the remark was not well received by the viewers as they said that ‘colour has nothing to do with it’, the report said.

One female fan said on Twitter: “Skin colour should have nothing to do with it. The players who are the best on the team are the ones who are played but the woke Eilidh Barbour just couldn’t help herself and had to virtue signal ad nauseam!”

A Nottingham Forest fan called Matthew, who described Barbour’s comments as “hypocritical”, wrote on Twitter: “Wow I’ve just seen what the BBC had to say after England Women’s Euros quarter final win this week - That the England team is too white!”

Later, Barbour defended herself saying that she is happy that the 'conversation is happening'.

"I’m glad this conversation is happening. Football is a game for all. It has never been about criticising this #ENG team, it’s about looking to the future and the pathways so girls can all have the same opportunities to be a Lioness," she wrote on Twitter.

The Women’s Euros 2022 episode drew 222 uninvited complaints, compared to 150 over the broadcasting of audible swearing by Wimbledon star Nick Kyrgios during a match on July 4.

Meanwhile, the England team thrashed Sweden 4-0 on Tuesday (26) to reach the women's European Championship final.

Research presented by Leon Mann MBE at the 'D-Word 4' conference held by the Black Collective of Media in Sport revealed that Gareth Southgate's England squad for last summer's men's Euros featured 11 players out of 26 - 42 per cent - of black or mixed heritage.

According to the Black Footballers Partnership - co-founded by QPR duo Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey, ex- Birmingham and Derby full-back Michael Johnson and former top-flight women's player Eartha Pond - some 43 per cent of players in the Premier League are black.

The Stefan Szymanski report commissioned by the Black Football Partnership shows a massive drop-off when it comes to representation away from the field.

But when it comes to the Women's Super League, the top division of women's football in England, the Professional Footballers' Association last week revealed just 29 out of the WSL's 300 players - 9.7 per cent - are from a diverse ethnic background.

In Phil Neville's England squad at the last Women's World Cup, there were just two ethnically diverse players in the squad - Nikita Parris and Demi Stokes. The same two players are in Wiegman's squad and remained unused substitutes in England's win against Austria.

According to Sky Sports, these numbers provide a sharp reminder of the chronic under-representation issue at the elite end of the girls' and women's game.

FA director of women's football Baroness Sue Campbell has said that meaningful change for diverse communities at the elite end of the women's game could take years.

She added that the current system of Talent ID and recruitment excludes a lot of people.

The Premier League has given the Football Association £5.25m over three years to fund a new network of Emerging Talent Centres (ETCs), which the FA says will provide high-quality coaching to 4,200 girls aged eight-to-16 by the end of the 2023/24 season, up from 1.722, currently.

The Football Association launched the Discover My Talent referral scheme for female players in their early teens almost a year ago.

"We want it to be representative of the society we live in, and therefore, yes, we want it to feel and look different," Campbell was quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

More For You

Heidi Klum

Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival

Instagram/heidiklum

Heidi Klum Venice Film Festival look with daughter Leni reignites criticism over mother-daughter lingerie fashion partnership

Highlights:

  • Heidi Klum and daughter Leni walked the Venice Film Festival red carpet in matching corset-style gowns.
  • The supermodel opted for a blush pink silk design, while Leni wore an inky black version.
  • Both gowns were created by Italian lingerie brand Intimissimi, for which they are ambassadors.
  • The mother-daughter duo previously fronted a controversial campaign for the same brand.

Heidi Klum's Venice Film Festival appearances always generate headlines, but this year she doubled the impact by walking the red carpet with her daughter Leni. The pair stunned in co-ordinated gowns from Italian intimates brand Intimissimi, bringing high fashion and red carpet glamour together in one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. Their matching corset silhouettes highlighted the duo’s modelling credentials and added a striking family twist to the opening night of the prestigious event.

Heidi Klum Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival Instagram/heidiklum

Keep ReadingShow less
Ahaan Panday

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara

Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Ahaan Panday says Bollywood wronged him and admits he was delusional before 'Saiyaara' broke box office records

Highlights:

  • Ahaan Panday opens up on being ‘wronged’ before his Bollywood debut
  • Actor admits he spent years in ‘blind optimism’ waiting for launch
  • Saiyaara has become the highest-grossing love story in Indian cinema history
  • The Mohit Suri directorial collected £53 million (₹563 crore) worldwide

Bollywood newcomer Ahaan Panday has revealed that he felt “wronged” by people in the industry before finally making his long-awaited debut with Mohit Suri’s Saiyaara. The 27-year-old actor, who comes from the well-known Panday family, said he lived in “blind optimism” for four to five years as projects kept falling through. Despite setbacks, Ahaan maintained that he never became bitter and channelled his struggles into his performance.

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Keep ReadingShow less
Jio Platforms

Jio Platforms includes India’s largest telecom operator, Reliance Jio Infocomm, with more than 500 million users. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Jio IPO planned for mid-2026, AI unit announced with Meta and Google

RELIANCE Industries plans to take its telecom and digital arm, Jio Platforms, public by mid-2026, chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Friday. The announcement sets a new timeline for the long-awaited IPO of a business analysts value at over $100 billion.

At its annual general meeting (AGM), Reliance also announced the launch of an artificial intelligence unit in partnership with Google and Meta.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sony next console

The top model could match the PS5 Pro at around £699.99

Nintendo

Sony’s next console could be both handheld and dockable, claim rumours

Highlights:

  • Reports suggest Sony is planning three versions of its next console
  • One model, codenamed Canis, could function as both a handheld and a docked console, similar to Nintendo Switch
  • The flagship version, Orion, is expected to be the main high-spec console
  • Pricing speculation indicates the top model could match the PS5 Pro at around £699.99

Fresh rumours claim Sony is preparing a dockable handheld version of its next-generation console, the PlayStation 6. The device, reportedly codenamed Canis, is said to target the same hybrid market as Nintendo’s Switch and the expected Switch 2.

Details of the rumour

The information comes from YouTube channel Moore’s Law is Dead (via Push Square), which suggests Sony will release three versions of the PS6:

Keep ReadingShow less
Mounjaro price rise

Eli Lilly has agreed a discounted supply deal for its weight-loss drug Mounjaro

iStock

Mounjaro’s highest dose to rise from £122 to £247.50, not £330

Highlights:

  • Eli Lilly had announced a steep price rise of up to 170% for Mounjaro.
  • A new discount deal with UK suppliers will limit the increase for patients.
  • Pharmacies will still apply a mark-up, but consumer costs are expected to rise less than initially feared.
  • NHS pricing remains unaffected due to separate arrangements.

Eli Lilly has agreed a discounted supply deal for its weight-loss drug Mounjaro, easing fears of a sharp rise in costs for UK patients. The new arrangement means that, from September, pharmacies and private services will face smaller wholesale increases than first expected, limiting the impact on consumers.

Why the price rise was announced

Earlier this month, Eli Lilly said it would raise Mounjaro’s list price by as much as 170%, which could have pushed the highest monthly dose from £122 to £330. The company argued that UK pricing needed to align more closely with higher costs in Europe and the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less