Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US urges India to reverse ban as wheat-laden trucks, ships stranded at port

US urges India to reverse ban as wheat-laden trucks, ships stranded at port

HUNDREDS of thousands of tonnes of wheat were stranded at a major port in India on Tuesday (17) after New Delhi's surprise ban on exports over inflation and food security worries.

India, the world's second-largest grower of wheat, last week ordered that traders could not enter into new export deals without government approval.


Meanwhile, the US hopes India will reverse its ban on wheat exports, Washington's top diplomat to the UN said, warning the move would worsen global shortages of the commodity.

"We're encouraging countries not to restrict exports because we think any restrictions on exports will exacerbate the food shortages," Linda Thomas-Greenfield said during a ministerial gathering on food security ahead of a meeting of the UN security council.

The UN meeting -- to be chaired by  US secretary of state Antony Blinken-- will include Vellamvelly Muraleedharan, India's minister of state for external affairs.

That session aims to "bring countries together to look at what countries might be able to help fill the gap" in wheat supplies caused by Russia's invasion of Ukraine -- two major exporters of the commodity, said Thomas-Greenfield.

Blinken is on Wednesday (18) set to hold another UN meeting also related to food security. India holds a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

Chaos at Kandla port

India's ban on exports has led to chaos at the port in Kandla, in Gujarat, where about 4,000 trucks are stuck in queues outside, according to the port operator.

Four ships partially loaded with about 80,000 tonnes of wheat are also docked at the facility.

Labourers unload wheat grain from a trailer at a wholesale grain market on the outskirts of Amritsar on April 16, 2022 Labourers unload wheat grain from a trailer at a wholesale grain market on the outskirts of Amritsar on April 16, 2022. (Photo by NARINDER NANU/AFP via Getty Images)

Port officials said trucks that arrived before May 13, when the government announced the export ban, would be allowed to unload the grain onto ships waiting to take it to countries including Egypt and South Korea under prior agreements.

"However, those wheat-laden trucks that arrived at the port after May 13 will have to return with the commodity," said Om Prakash Dadlani, spokesman for operator Deendayal Port Trust.

The Gandhidham Chamber of Commerce estimated that about 400,000 tonnes of wheat from Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh and other wheat-growing states were stranded.

Between 500 and 700 warehouses near the port were "full of wheat for export", said Teja Kangad, president of the chamber.

The government should have given prior notice before announcing the ban, he said.

"This has led to a chaotic situation where the truckers and traders are left uncertain of what will happen to the goods. Also, wheat being a perishable commodity, it can't be kept in the open for long," Kangad said.

The wheat ban has drawn criticism from the Group of Seven nations worried about protectionism as inflation soars in the wake of the Ukraine war.

India had previously said it was ready to help fill some of the supply shortages caused by Russia's February invasion of Ukraine, which had accounted for 12 per cent of global exports.

While India is a small exporter, its assurances of supplies from its large buffer stocks had provided some support to global prices and soothed fears of major shortages.

India's wheat production has been hit by searing temperatures -- the country recorded its warmest March on record -- prompting the government to predict output would fall at least five percent this year from 109 million tonnes in 2021.

Wheat prices surged to a record high on Monday (16), jumping to ($453 per tonne as the European market opened.

(Agencies)

More For You

Sally Rooney

She criticised the UK government for what she described as eroding citizens’ rights and freedoms

Getty Images

Sally Rooney says UK terror listing won’t stop her support for Palestine Action

Highlights:

  • Author Sally Rooney says she will continue to back Palestine Action, despite the group being proscribed as a terrorist organisation in the UK.
  • Writing in the Irish Times, she pledged to use her book earnings and public platform to support the group’s activities.
  • The Home Secretary Yvette Cooper has defended the ban, citing security risks and evidence of violent action.
  • Palestine Action has targeted UK arms companies and was linked to an incident at RAF Brize Norton, causing £7m worth of damage.

Sally Rooney reaffirms support

Irish novelist Sally Rooney has said she will continue to support the pro-Palestinian direct action group Palestine Action, even after its proscription as a terrorist organisation in the UK.

In an article published in the Irish Times, the award-winning writer of Normal People and Intermezzo said she would keep using the proceeds of her work — including residuals from the BBC adaptations of Normal People and Conversations with Friends — to fund the group.

Keep ReadingShow less
Newcastle marks India’s 79th Independence Day

Senior civic leaders, academics, and business figures attended this landmark event

AMG

Newcastle marks India’s 79th Independence Day with first official Consulate-led event

Highlights:

  • First-ever official Indian Independence Day celebration hosted by the Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne.
  • JM Meenu Malhotra DL, Honorary Consul General of India in England, led the event and hoisted the tricolour.
  • Cultural highlights included Mi Marathi Dhol Group, a classical dance by Madhura Godbole, and a Tamil flash mob by Spice FM.
  • Senior civic leaders, academics, and business figures attended, making it a landmark occasion for the Indian community in the North East of England.

Newcastle hosts first-ever official Independence Day event

The Indian Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne hosted its first-ever official Independence Day celebration this week, coinciding with India’s 79th Independence Day. The event, hosted at the Civic Centre, coincided with India’s 79th Independence Day and was attended by a cross-section of civic leaders, academics, business representatives, and cultural figures.

Newcastle marks India\u2019s 79th Independence Day The Indian Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne hosted its first-ever official Independence Day celebration this weekAMG

Keep ReadingShow less
Sadiq Khan open to meeting Trump, warns he is “not a force for good”
Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan open to meeting Trump, warns he is “not a force for good”

London mayor Sadiq Khan said he would be willing to meet Donald Trump, even as he warned the US president could be “inadvertently radicalising people” and was “not a force for good”.

The Labour politician dismissed Trump’s recent jibes during a visit to Scotland, where the president called him “a nasty person” who had “done a terrible job”. Khan said the remarks were “water off a duck’s back”, though at times they made him feel “nine years old again” and “in the school playground”.

Keep ReadingShow less
Monsoon floods kill hundreds in Pakistan, many still trapped

Mourners offer funeral prayers for victims of flash floods in Buner district in northern Pakistan's mountainous Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on August 16, 2025. (Photo by AZIZ BUNERI/AFP via Getty Images)

Monsoon floods kill hundreds in Pakistan, many still trapped

RESCUE operations are ongoing in northwest Pakistan, where more than 150 people remain missing after days of heavy monsoon rains caused deadly flash floods and landslides.

The disaster has left at least 344 people dead in the region, with the national death toll surpassing 650 since the monsoon season began in late June.

Keep ReadingShow less
Afzal Khan resigns as UK trade envoy after northern Cyprus visit
Afzal Khan

Afzal Khan resigns as UK trade envoy after northern Cyprus visit

LABOUR MP Afzal Khan has stepped down from his role as the UK’s trade envoy to Turkey following criticism over a personal visit to the Turkish-occupied north of Cyprus.

Khan, who represents Manchester Rusholme, travelled to the self-declared Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus recently. The region is not recognised by the UK government, as Turkish forces have occupied the northern third of the island since 1974.

Keep ReadingShow less