Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Uber submits appeal to regain London taxi licence

UBER submitted an appeal on Friday (13) against a decision by London's transport regulator to strip the taxi app of its right to operate in one its most important markets, setting up a potentially lengthy legal process during which it can continue to take rides.

Last month, Transport for London (TfL) refused to grant the Silicon Valley-based company a new licence due to what it called a "pattern of failures" on safety and security, the latest stage of a long-running battle with the authorities.


Uber, which was also denied a licence by TfL in 2017 before a judge restored it on a probationary basis, said it had changed its business model over the last two years and would go further, as it lodged its appeal at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

"We are committed to Londoners and are working closely with TfL to address their concerns and requests, as we have since 2017," said the firm's Northern and Eastern Europe boss Jamie Heywood.

TfL director Helen Chapman said it would now be for a magistrate to decide.

"We found Uber not fit and proper to hold a new private hire operator's licence on 25 November," she said in a statement.

"We note that Uber has submitted an appeal and it will now be for a magistrate to determine if they are fit and proper."

The firm's roughly 45,000 drivers in London will still be able to take rides until the appeals process is exhausted, which could take months or even years.

The regulator said in November that unauthorised drivers were able to upload their photos to other Uber accounts so that on at least 14,000 trips a driver other than the advertised one picked up passengers.

The Silicon Valley company has run into regulatory barriers and a backlash in several markets, forcing it to withdraw completely from places such as Copenhagen and Hungary.

In London, black cab drivers who see Uber as a threat to their livelihoods have blocked streets in protest, arguing that they are being unfairly undercut by an inferior service.

(Reuters)

More For You

Retail sales

Fuel sales plunged 10.2 per cent as motorists reportedly cut back on journeys and delayed filling up

iStock

UK retail sales suffer biggest drop in a year as motorists cut fuel spending

  • UK retail sales volumes fell 1.3 per cent in April, the sharpest monthly decline since May 2025.
  • Fuel sales plunged 10.2 per cent as motorists reportedly cut back on journeys and delayed filling up.
  • Clothing retailers also struggled, with shoppers pulling back amid higher prices and unpredictable weather.

Britain’s retail sector saw its steepest monthly slowdown in almost a year in April, with rising petrol and diesel prices appearing to push consumers into cutting back on fuel purchases and discretionary shopping.

According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), total retail sales volumes across Great Britain fell by 1.3 per cent in April compared with March. The drop was sharper than economists had expected and marked the biggest monthly fall since May 2025. The figures add to growing concerns around UK consumer spending, retail sales and the wider impact of higher living costs linked to the Middle East conflict and energy prices.

Keep ReadingShow less