Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

SWIFT says bank hacks intensifying

SWIFT, the system banks use to send payment instructions worth trillions of dollars each day, was hacked at least three times over the summer and cyber attacks on banks are set to intensify, the cooperative said on Monday (September 26).

The theft of $81 million in February from Bangladesh’s central bank using SWIFT messages rocked faith in the system whose messages had, until then, been accepted at face value.


SWIFT chief executive Gottfried Leibbrandt told the Sibos conference in Geneva that hackers successfully breached the systems of two banks over the summer and a third bank repelled an attack before fraudulent SWIFT messages could be sent.

In the two cases where hackers sent payment instructions over SWIFT, the orders were not fulfilled because the receiving banks thought they did not conform with normal message patterns and questioned them.

In the third case, the bank had installed a patch from SWIFT which allowed the lender’s system to spot the infiltration.

“In all of those cases no money was lost,” Leibbrandt said.

The Belgium-based cooperative, which is owned by banks, said it was introducing a set of mandatory security measures in response to the attacks which customers were expected to take to safeguard their systems against cyber heists.

Customers will be required to show each year that they have checked 16 mandatory controls. In 2018, SWIFT will inspect clients and if they do not comply with the standards, the cooperative will inform the non-compliant bank’s counterparties and regulators.

Leibbrandt declined to comment when asked by reporters if SWIFT would boot non-compliant banks off the system.

SWIFT chairman Yawar Shah told the conference that the threat of cyber attacks was going to get worse and that banks needed to tighten their security practices.

“This rapidly evolving threat is a game changer,” he said.

More For You

aircraft

EasyJet announced it had already completed updates on many aircraft and planned to operate normally

Getty Images

Airbus grounds 6,000 aircraft over solar radiation risk

Highlights

  • Around 6,000 Airbus A320 family aircraft grounded worldwide, affecting half the manufacturer's global fleet.
  • Issue discovered following October incident where JetBlue flight experienced sudden altitude loss, injuring 15 passengers.
  • Most aircraft require three-hour software update, but 900 older planes need complete computer replacement.
Thousands of Airbus planes have been grounded globally after the European aerospace manufacturer discovered that intense solar radiation could interfere with critical flight control computers.
The revelation has triggered widespread flight cancellations and delays, particularly affecting the busy US Thanksgiving travel weekend.

The vulnerability impacts approximately 6,000 aircraft from the A320 family, including the A318, A319, and A321 models. Airbus identified the problem while investigating an October incident where a JetBlue Airways flight travelling between Mexico and the US made an emergency landing in Florida after experiencing a sudden drop in altitude.

The issue relates to computing software that calculates aircraft elevation. Airbus found that intense radiation periodically released by the sun could corrupt data at high altitudes in the ELAC computer, which operates control surfaces on the wings and horizontal stabiliser

Keep ReadingShow less