Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sri Lankan veterans trapped in Ukraine plead for help

Families urge action as economic crisis drives ex-soldiers to dangerous jobs in Ukraine

Sri Lankan veterans trapped in Ukraine plead for help

WHEN Sri Lanka’s economy crashed in 2022, people sought work abroad wherever they could, including ex-soldiers who joined forces fighting in Ukraine after Russia’s invasion.

 Now the veterans, some of whom swapped their life savings for what they thought would be lucrative, non-combat jobs, are desperate to come back home.  


“What we ask is to help bring back our husbands,” said Renuka Karunaratne, 49, who said her husband was duped into going to Russia by a devious agent.  

Colombo’s parliament set up an inquiry last month to track at least 2,000 battle-hardened Sri Lankans who reportedly enlisted on both sides of the Ukraine war, including in the regular armed forces and mercenary groups. 

 With no communication for months, and reports of at least 16 Sri Lankans killed and 37 wounded, distraught families are pleading with politicians for help. 

 The government says around a dozen Sri Lankans are being held prisoners in Ukraine, after being lured there in pursuit of work.  

Advertisements on WhatsApp groups of retired military personnel promised monthly salaries of more than £1,655, 13 times the average income in Sri Lanka. Promises were also made of plots of land in Russia, where fighters and their families could settle. 

INSET 2 Levan S. Dzhagaryan GettyImages 2154666803 Levan S Dzhagaryan

 Karunaratne said she and her husband paid £7,882.9 to an employment agent to get the job. “We have sold everything we owned, including jewellery,” she said while demonstrating outside the Russian embassy in Colombo last week. “We have mortgaged a part of our house too.” An economic crisis in early 2022 saw Sri Lanka run out of foreign exchange to import food, fuel, and other essentials, and ultimately default on its external debt.  

Nilmini Chandima Dissanayake, 41, said hardship stemming from the downturn pushed her ex-soldier husband to go to Russia, more than 6,000 kilometres (3,700 miles) away. “My husband was in the commando regiment for 22 years,” Dissanayake told AFP. “He had retired, he did some odd jobs, but found it was not enough.”  

She has not heard from him since May 1, one month after he arrived in Moscow to take up what he thought was a non-combatant role. “His last call was to plead to get him back home, to save his life,” she said. “Every passing day they lose hope of surviving.”  

The war in Ukraine has taken a heavy toll on Russian troops, and Moscow has been on a global quest for more forces to fight. 

 Sri Lanka has maintained a large military relative to its 22-million population since the end of a decades-long civil war against the separatist Tamil Tigers in 2009. Moscow is believed to have hired thousands of foreign combatants, many of them from south Asia.  

Neither Russia nor Ukraine will say how many foreigners are serving in their militaries or how many they are holding as prisoners of war. In parliament, Sri Lankan deputy defence minister Premitha Tennakoon did not specify how many citizens were fighting on each side of the conflict.  

Colombo has remained neutral in the Ukraine war, but reports that Russian authorities supported the recruitment of ex-soldiers from Sri Lanka have sparked tensions. Police have arrested two retired Sri Lankan generals for illegally acting as recruiting agents for Russian mercenary firms, as well as six people who allegedly helped them with logistics. The state minister for foreign affairs, Tharaka Balasuriya, said Sri Lanka was pushing Ukraine to release prisoners of war, and would send a delegation to Moscow.  

“If Sri Lankans are in a dangerous situation, it is the duty of the government to ensure they are safely returned,” Balasuriya said. The Sri Lankan foreign ministry said last Tuesday (11) that Moscow agreed not to recruit anymore Sri Lankans to their military.

INSET 1 Anil Madusanka a hotel driver who had joined Russian forces shows his wound during an interview with AFP at his residence in Colombo. Anil Madusanka, who joined the Russian forces, was wounded by shrapnel.

 The Sri Lankan foreign minister, Ali Sabry, raised the issue with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of the BRICS ministerial meeting in Moscow, the ministry said. “It was also agreed that no further recruitment from Sri Lanka will be done,” the ministry said.

 Moscow will accept a delegation from Sri Lanka next Wednesday (26) to “review these iissuesin detail and take suitable action to arrest the situation,” the ministry statement said.

Russian ambassador Levan S Dzhagaryan said “a lot” of visas had been issued to Sri Lankans, but insisted that they had not told the embassy why they wanted to go to Moscow. “Why are you talking only about Russia?” the ambassador challenged reporters last month in Colombo. “Why do you not talk about Ukraine?”

 At least 22 Sri Lankans who joined Russian forces have managed to desert, escape and return home, defence officials said. “They were duped,” defence ministry spokesman Nalin Herath told AFP.  

Hotel driver Anil Madusanka, 37, is one of them. “Many people have economic problems,” said Madusanka, now recovering at his home outside Colombo after seven terrifying weeks in Russia. “That is why they go to Russia or Ukraine.” 

 He thought he would swap driving tourists for a promised job driving in Russia, but was handed an assault rifle instead and sent to the battlefront to face Ukrainian forces. He was wounded by shrapnel that tore into both his legs. From a hospital, he fled to the Sri Lankan embassy in Moscow, which arranged his repatriation last month.  

“I am lucky to have escaped,” Madusanka said. 

More For You

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Xi

Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping during their meeting in October 2024.

75 years of India-China relations: Modi, Xi call for stronger ties

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping exchanged messages on Tuesday to mark the 75th anniversary of India-China diplomatic relations.

Modi stated that the development of bilateral ties contributes to global stability and a multipolar world, while Xi called for a "dragon-elephant tango" to strengthen cooperation between the two countries, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less