Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

South Asian Action Plan on track to revolutionise cricket in the UK

By Sarwar Alam

CRICKET can be a catalyst to transform the health and well-being of South Asian communities, an influential member of the English Cricket Board (ECB) has said.


Lord Kamlesh Patel of Bradford is the chair of ECB South Asian Advisory Group. At the launch of an Urban Cricket Centre in Leyton last week, he said it would not only get more people to play the game, but also be a tool to improve people’s lives through education and healthy living initiatives.

"To mark the one-year anniversary of the South Asian Action Plan with the opening of the first Urban Cricket Centre is a landmark moment," Lord Patel said Wednesday (26) at the unveiling of the Leyton centre.

"Cricket has a unique ability to reach across diverse social, cultural and religious groups and we hope this centre contributes to building a stronger, healthier community."

In May 2018, the ECB launched the South Asian Action Plan to engage more effectively with the ethnic community. It focused on every level of the game, spanning recreational cricket, talent development and retention, attendance, administration, and culture and facilities.

The plan aimed to address gaps - including a lack of opportunities for the South Asian community - to engage with cricket and also build ties between cricket authorities and the community.

A year on from the launch, the Leyton Urban Cricket Centre opened last week.

Lord Patel said: "We know our children are not as light as they should be. We can’t get adults to go for health screenings. These facilities will help with this. People will come to these centres for cricket in their thousands and we should use that as an opportunity to improve health and well-being - cricket is the vehicle. This is the start of a big long journey.

"These centres, and we are determined to build 20 more of these around the country, are not sustainable with just cricket alone. They need to be centres for technology, education, apprenticeship and health. We need to work with local authorities, local health services and the community itself."

The ECB’s director of strategy and corporate development, Vikram Banerjee, told Eastern Eye: "I believe cricket should be a privilege and enjoyment available to everyone and that is at the heart of the action plan.

"We know the demand for cricket is huge in South Asian communities (30 percent of grassroot cricketers are from a South Asian background) and where there is demand we want to bolster supply. And that’s why we will be opening urban centres throughout the country, including in places like Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester."

Aside from the first urban cricket centre in Leyton, a further 100 pitches have been installed in inner cities, almost 200 different street projects have been set up through Chance to Shine, reaching 4,100 children across the country.

Talent champions have been hired to work as a direct link between local leagues in South Asian communities and county teams, in order to ease the pathway for South Asians to progress to the professional game.

Banerjee said the ECB will continue to support the action plan in the long-term and rejected any suggestion that it was just a "tick-box exercise".

"This is not a one-year thing. It is not a tick-box exercise. It is a plan that goes across the game right from Tom Harrison (ECB chief executive) to coaches running local games. Change is happening and excitement is there. This is part of core ECB business model. It is not something separate.

"If we do this brilliantly, then in 10 years time we will not need a South Action Plan. Cricket will be a representation of modern Britain and the society we serve. We have one in three people playing in cricket in the country from a South Asian background but only four per cent go on to play professionally. This has to change."

One of the most notable successes of the plan has come via £1.2m of National Lottery funding from Sport England to develop a network of 2,000 South Asian female role models to inspire the next generation of cricketers.

The new volunteers combine coaching and mentoring to support new players coming into the sport, helping to deliver All Stars Cricket - ECB’s entry level cricket programme for five to eight-year olds, across seven cities - Birmingham, Bradford, London, Leeds, Leicester, Manchester and Nottingham.

Shruti Saujani, ECB City Programme Manager, who is leading the South Asian Female Volunteering Programme, told Eastern Eye: "This has the potential to make a massive difference to cricket in this country. We are already seeing some incredible stories of South Asian women across the country taking up the game and becoming role models for the next generation. So far we have trained 170 women to run eight-week coaching courses as part of All-Stars Cricket.

"We have found that women absolutely love the game. It’s just about creating a safe space and making it more accessible to them. We know women, especially those with children, don’t like to travel a lot. So we have taken cricket to mosques, temple, gurdwaras, faith centres, leisure centres where women are comfortable in their own environment.

"We have also challenged people’s perception and beliefs that women shouldn't be running around playing sport. We are looking to address this issue and have developed culturally appropriate kit such as head scarfs and longer t-shirts."

More For You

Helldivers 2

Players will fight inside Terminid hive worlds with underground tunnels

YouTube/ HELLDIVERS™ 2

Helldivers 2 pits players against dragon bugs in massive September update

Highlights:

  • Helldivers 2: Into the Unjust launches on 2 September.
  • Players will fight inside Terminid hive worlds with underground tunnels.
  • New missions include destroying Spore Lungs and drilling for E-710.
  • Fresh enemy types introduced, including Burrowers and dragon-like roaches.
  • New “Dust Devils” Warbond arrives 4 September with weapons and gear.

Into the Unjust expansion arrives 2 September

Arrowhead Game Studios has announced Helldivers 2: Into the Unjust, a major update arriving on 2 September. The expansion will allow players to enter the Terminid hive worlds for the first time, diving deep into underground lairs filled with hostile creatures.

According to Arrowhead, the goal is to “take the battle to our enemies’ homes” by exploring massive cave systems and confronting new threats hidden beneath the surface.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bruce Willis dementia update Emma Heming

Emma Heming Willis shares emotional insight into Bruce Willis’ battle with frontotemporal dementia

Getty Images

Bruce Willis' dementia began as a 'whisper', admits Emma Heming in heartbreaking update

Highlights:

  • Emma Heming Willis says Bruce Willis’ frontotemporal dementia symptoms first appeared like a “whisper.”
  • The actor remains physically strong but struggles with language and communication.
  • Heming Willis has written a new book, The Unexpected Journey, on caregiving.
  • She is now advocating for more support for families living with dementia.

Emma Heming Willis has shared a moving update on husband Bruce Willis’ health, describing how his frontotemporal dementia (FTD) first appeared as a “whisper” through subtle changes in his behaviour. Speaking in a new ABC News special, Emma & Bruce Willis: The Unexpected Journey, she revealed that while the Die Hard star remains physically healthy, it is his mind that is deteriorating. Heming Willis also discussed her new book on caregiving and her mission to support other families navigating dementia.

Bruce Willis dementia update Emma Heming Emma Heming Willis shares emotional insight into Bruce Willis’ battle with frontotemporal dementia Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
Surat-diamond-Reuters

Craftsmen work on diamonds at a diamond processing unit in Surat, India, August 15, 2025. (Photo credit: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Tariff surge threatens one-third of India’s diamond exports

THE SURAT Diamond Bourse, billed as the world's largest office complex and bigger than the Pentagon, remains largely empty with only a few traders working.

Business has slowed, and the outlook is uncertain.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dream11-BCCI-Getty

Dream11 originally signed the three-year agreement in July 2023, taking over as jersey sponsor in a deal worth £31m. T

getty images

Dream11 pulls out as Indian cricket sponsor after gambling ban

INDIAN cricket faces a scramble to find a new main sponsor after Dream11 pulled out of its three-year partnership worth £33 million ($43.6m) following the government's sweeping ban on online gambling platforms.

Representatives from Dream11, India's biggest fantasy sports platform, visited the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters on Monday (25) to inform chief executive Hemang Amin they could no longer continue the sponsorship deal. The company's logo currently appears on jerseys worn by both the men's and women's national teams.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sophie Turner Game of Thrones rape scene

Sophie Turner opens up about Sansa Stark’s controversial wedding night scene in Game of Thrones

Getty Images/ Instagram/sansastarkwinterfell

Sophie Turner shocks fans with 'Game of Thrones' rape scene confession: ‘I wouldn’t survive it today’

Highlights:

  • Sophie Turner reflects on Game of Thrones’ most controversial rape scene
  • The actress admits modern TV would include trigger warnings
  • Turner says the show highlighted patriarchy and women’s struggles
  • She reunites with Kit Harington in upcoming gothic horror film

Sophie Turner has defended the controversial Game of Thrones rape scene involving her character Sansa Stark, saying the sequence, while triggering, played an important role in highlighting patriarchy and women’s struggles. Speaking in a new interview, the British actress admitted that if the series aired today, it would include trigger warnings, but she believes the depiction sparked conversations about sexual violence that remain crucial.

Sophie Turner Game of Thrones rape scene Sophie Turner opens up about Sansa Stark’s controversial wedding night scene in Game of Thrones Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less