Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rape is 'monstrous', but death penalty not the answer: UN rights chief

Sentencing rapists to death, as Bangladesh did on Thursday, is not an appropriate punishment even for such a heinous crime, the UN rights chief said.

"Tempting as it may be to impose draconian punishments on those who carry out such monstrous acts, we must not allow ourselves to commit further violations," Michelle Bachelet said in a statement.


Her comment came after a Bangladesh court sentenced five men to death Thursday for the 2012 gang-rape of a 15-year-old girl.

It marked the first conviction since the government of prime minister Sheikh Hasina this week introduced the death penalty for rape.

Gang-rape already carried the death sentence, but rape by a single offender had previously been punishable only by life imprisonment.

Bachelet cited the law change in Bangladesh, but also calls in a number of other countries to impose the death penalty for rape.

She highlighted calls in Pakistan for public hanging and castration of rapists, and a law introduced in the northwestern Nigerian state of Kaduna last month imposing surgical castration followed by execution in rape cases where the victim is under 14.

"The main argument being made for the death penalty is for it to deter rape – but in fact there is no evidence that the death penalty deters crime more than other forms of punishment," Bachelet said.

"Evidence shows that the certainty of punishment, rather than its severity, deters crime."

She stressed that in most countries, "the key problem is that victims of sexual violence do not have access to justice in the first place."

This was due to a range of factors, including "stigma, fear of reprisals, entrenched gender stereotypes and power imbalances," she said, stressing that handing the death penalty to perpetrators would not remove those barriers.

More For You

Hantavirus deaths on Antarctic cruise prompt investigation into Ushuaia travel history

Higher temperatures help hantavirus spread by allowing infected rodents to survive in more places, experts say

Getty Images

Hantavirus deaths on Antarctic cruise prompt investigation into Ushuaia travel history

Highlights

  • Three tourists died from hantavirus on Dutch cruise ship after leaving Argentina.
  • Argentina reports 101 infections since June 2025, double the previous year.
  • Experts link rising cases to climate change helping rodents move into new areas.
Argentine officials are working to find out if their country is the source of a deadly hantavirus outbreak that killed three passengers on an Antarctic cruise ship.

The health emergency comes as Argentina sees a sharp rise in hantavirus cases. Local health researchers blame the increase on climate change.

The World Health Organization consistently ranks Argentina as having the highest number of cases of the rare rodent-borne disease in Latin America.

Keep ReadingShow less