BRITISH home secretary Priti Patel has slammed the critics of her government’s controversial immigration deal with Rwanda and the BBC’s “xenophobic” overtones in reporting the matter.
She was "taken aback" by the tone of BBC journalists' references to Rwanda after the agreement with the African country was announced, she told The Telegraph.
She said the corporation’s “undercurrent” was similar to the views expressed by opposition parties.
"When you hear the critics start to stereotype, start to generalise, first of all that's all very offensive. It's deeply offensive, and it's based on ignorance and prejudice, some of this, in my view. I could call them lazy and sloppy characterisations, but actually they're not. I heard plenty of that not long after the announcement was made”.
"There are always going to be critics, and we live in a free country," she said in an interview with the newspaper published on Saturday (23).
According to documents published by the government last week, Patel overruled reservations from officials about her plan to send thousands of asylum seekers to Rwanda.
The plan, unveiled by prime minister Boris Johnson, seeks to act as a deterrent to migrants who make illegal boat crossings to Britain from France.
It has drawn heavy criticism from political opponents and campaigners.
In an exchange of letters with Patel, the top official in the Home Office highlighted uncertainty over the scheme's value to the taxpayer.
The government has said it would contribute an initial £120 million to the scheme.
"I do not believe sufficient evidence can be obtained to demonstrate that the policy will have a deterrent effect significant enough to make the policy value for money," Home Office permanent secretary Matthew Rycroft said.
Patel acknowledged the concerns but stated her belief that without taking action to stop the crossings, both the monetary costs and the loss of life among those who attempt to navigate the busy shipping channel would rise.
"It would therefore be imprudent in my view, as home secretary, to allow the absence of quantifiable and dynamic modelling ... to delay delivery of a policy that we believe will reduce illegal migration, save lives, and ultimately break the business model of the smuggling gangs," she wrote.
Last year, more than 28,000 migrants and refugees made the crossing from mainland Europe to Britain, a fraction of the number arriving in other European countries, but enough to keep immigration a politically sensitive topic among some voters.
Site Navigation
Search
Latest Stories
Start your day right!
Get latest updates and insights delivered to your inbox.
Related News
News
Teachers, nurses warn of strikes over 2.8 per cent pay rise proposal
EasternEye
11 December 2024
More For You
Economist alleges H-1B fraud as Chennai shows 220,000 approvals against US cap
Nov 27, 2025
AMERICA's H-1B visa system has come under renewed scrutiny after US economist and former Representative Dave Brat claimed that visa approvals had exceeded statutory limits.
Brat said on Steve Bannon’s War Room podcast that although the annual cap is 85,000, Chennai alone accounted for 220,000 H-1B approvals.
Brat said the programme had been “captured by industrial-scale fraud” and pointed to the nationality breakdown.
“Seventy-one per cent of H-1B visas come from India, and only 12 per cent come from China, which is the second largest group. That tells you something’s going on right there,” he said.
He added: “Then there’s a cap of only 85,000 H-1B visas, but somehow one district in India, the Madras (Chennai) district, got 220,000, two and a half times the cap Congress has set.”
He linked the alleged issues to the Make America Great Again movement’s concerns about immigration, saying: “When I say H-1B visa, you need to think of your cousins, your aunts and uncles, and your grandparents. One of these folks comes over and claims they’re skilled; they’re not. That’s the fraud.”
Brat’s remarks follow earlier claims by Mahvash Siddiqui, an Indian-American diplomat, reported The Business Standard.
She said that US officials processed thousands of non-immigrant visas in 2024, including 220,000 H-1Bs and 140,000 H-4s, and alleged widespread fraud involving fake documents, proxy applicants and coaching centres in Hyderabad.
Keep ReadingShow less
Most Popular
Current Issue
×
Terms and Conditions
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
© Copyright 2025 Garavi Gujarat Publications Ltd & Asian Media Group USA Inc












