Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Modi urges US to keep an open mind on visas for skilled workers

India prime minister Narendra Modi urged the United States on Tuesday (21) to keep an open mind on admitting skilled Indian workers, in comments that pushed back against Republican President Donald Trump’s “America First” rhetoric on jobs.

Modi’s comments reflected concern that India’s $150 billion IT services industry would suffer if the United States curbs the visas, known as H-1B, it relies on to send its software experts to the United States on project work.


“The prime minister referred to the role of skilled Indian talent in enriching the American economy and society,” Modi’s office said in a statement after he met a bipartisan delegation of 26 members of the U.S. Congress.

“He urged developing a reflective, balanced and far-sighted perspective on movement of skilled professionals.”

Indian nationals are by far the largest group of recipients of the 65,000 H-1B visas issued each year to new applicants under a cap mandated by Congress. Exemptions on the H-1B cap are available to up to 20,000 further applicants who have obtained a U.S. master’s degree.

The actual number of Indian nationals working in the United States under the H-1B programme is significantly higher, however, because many visas are rolled over.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, who was born in India, also met Modi on Tuesday. He told the Economic Times earlier that his own career had been made possible by “an enlightened immigration policy”.

Initial confidence that Asia’s third-largest economy would benefit from Trump’s election victory has given way to concern that his isolationist rhetoric and hostility to free trade would hurt India’s hi-tech and outsourcing industry.

The sector, led by Tata Consultancy Services, Infosys Ltd and Wipro Ltd, employs 3.5 million people and is lobbying against proposed US visa curbs - including increases on salaries that H-1B visa holders must earn.

Part of the delegation led by Congressman Bob Goodlatte, a Republican from Virginia who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, met Ravi Shankar Prasad, India’s minister in charge of electronics and IT.

Goodlatte, speaking at the meeting with Prasad, declined to answer a question on visa restrictions, saying it was up to the president to reassess his policies on immigration.

A senior Indian official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said India hoped to resolve the visa issue with the United States but declined to be drawn on the details.

The government supported a move by NASSCOM, India’s high-tech industry association, to lobby U.S. lawmakers and companies to urge the administration not to crack down on allowing its skilled workers into the United States, the source said.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less