Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Man charged with murder of teacher Sabina Nessa

Man charged with murder of teacher Sabina Nessa

A 36-year-old man was to appear in court in Britain on Tuesday (28), charged with the murder of a young teacher whose death sparked renewed calls to improve women's safety.

The young woman's death, like that of 33-year-old Sarah Everard in March this year, has galvanised public opinion over the safety of women in public spaces and drawn promises from government to do better.


Koci Selamaj, who was arrested on Sunday (26) in connection with the killing of Sabina Nessa, was charged on Monday (27) evening, London's Metropolitan Police said.

The British teacher was found murdered in a London park who had been on a five-minute walk from her home to meet a friend in a pub.

Nessa, 28, left her home in south London just before 8:30 pm on Sept. 17, making her way through Cator Park towards The Depot bar on Pegler Square in Kidbrooke Village.

She never arrived and her body was found in the park the next afternoon.

Her death revived debate about women's safety and prompted hundreds of people to attend a vigil in her memory last Friday.

Earlier this year, the government faced calls to do more to tackle violence against women and girls after the high-profile killing of Sarah Everard.

A former Metropolitan Police officer has since admitted Everard's kidnap, rape and murder and is due to be sentenced this week.

More For You

Donald-Trump-Getty

Trump also said he would reverse “millions” of admissions granted under Biden and would “remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States.”(Photo: Getty Images)

Trump says he will suspend migration from ‘third world countries’

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump said on Thursday he would suspend migration from what he called “third world countries”, a day after an Afghan national allegedly shot two National Guard soldiers in Washington, killing one.

Trump made the announcement in a social media post in which he also said he would reverse “millions” of admissions granted under former president Joe Biden. His comments came as his second term continues to focus on mass deportations.

Keep ReadingShow less