Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Mahatma Gandhi’s great-granddaughter gets 7 years jail in South Africa for cheating businessman

Mahatma Gandhi’s great-granddaughter gets 7 years jail in South Africa for cheating businessman

A court in South Africa on Monday (7) has jailed Mahatma Gandhi’s great-granddaughter, Ashish Lata Ramgobin, for seven years after she was found guilty of fraud and forgery. 

Ramgobin, 56, was accused of defrauding businessman SR Maharaj after the latter gave her R6.2 million (around $457,000) for allegedly clearing import and customs duties for a non-existent consignment from India.


It may be mentioned here that Monday also marked 128 years of Gandhi's infamous ejection from a train in Pietermaritzburg in South Africa for racist reasons, an incident that would go a long way to make him an iconic symbol of anti-colonial resistance.

Ramgobin is the daughter of Gandhi’s 80-year-old granddaughter Ela Gandhi, an internationally acclaimed activist and the late Mewa Ramgovind.  

She was refused to appeal the conviction and sentence by the Durban Specialised Commercial Crime Court.

The trial in the case against Ramgobin started in 2015 and according to Brigadier Hangwanu Mulaudzi of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), the former allegedly submitted fake invoices and documents to convince potential investors that three containers of linen were being brought from India.

On Monday, the court heard that Ramgobin met Maharaj, a director of New Africa Alliance Footwear Distributors, in August 2015. His company imports, manufactures and sells clothing, linen and footwear and also provides finances to other firms on a profit-share basis. Ramgobin told Maharaj she imported three containers of linen for the South African Hospital Group NetCare.

GettyImages 107931675 Ela Gandhi, the granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi and the mother of Ashish Lata Ramgobin (RAVEENDRAN/AFP via Getty Images)

“She said she was experiencing financial difficulties to pay for import costs and customs and she needed the money to clear the goods at the harbour,” NPA spokesperson Natasha Kara said on Monday.

“She advised him (Maharaj) that she needed R6.2 million. To convince him, she showed him what she claimed was a signed purchase order for the goods. Later that month, she sent him what seemed to be a NetCare invoice and delivery note as proof that the goods were delivered and payment was imminent,” she said.  

Ramgobin “further sent him confirmation from NetCare’s bank account that payment had been made”, Kara added.

Maharaj believed Ramgobin because of her family background

Maharaj said he believed Ramgobin because of her family name and the NetCare documents. However, when he found out that the documents were forged, he brought criminal charges against her. Ramgobin was previously released on bail of 50,000 rand ($3,684), but this time, the court did not let her off the hook.

She was a rights activist and founded the Participative Development Initiative at a non government organisation called International Center for Non Violence, where she was an executive director. She was said to be an environment, social and political campaigner.

Mahatma Gandhi spent more than two decades in South Africa in the late 1890s and early 1900s before he became a leader in India’s freedom fight. 

More For You

Migrants boat

Migrants swim to board a smugglers' boat in order to attempt crossing the English channel off the beach of Audresselles, northern France. (Photo: Getty Images)

Small boat crossings reach record 28,000 in 2025, increasing pressure on Starmer

Highlights:

  • 28,076 migrants have crossed the Channel in small boats in 2025, a 46% increase from 2024.
  • Protests continue outside hotels housing asylum seekers.
  • Labour government promises end to hotel use by 2029 and asylum reforms.
  • Nigel Farage proposes “mass deportations” and leaving the European Convention on Human Rights.

A RECORD 28,076 migrants have crossed the Channel to Britain in small boats this year, according to government data released on Monday. The figure marks a 46 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2024.

Keep ReadingShow less
South Wales Police

South Wales Police said they were called to South Morgan Place in Riverside at 07:37 BST on Thursday following reports of a seriously injured woman. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Cardiff man charged with murder after woman’s death

A 37-YEAR-OLD man has been charged with murder after a woman was found dead in Cardiff.

South Wales Police said they were called to South Morgan Place in Riverside at 07:37 BST on Thursday following reports of a seriously injured woman.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pakistan floods

Rescuers patrol through floodwaters in the Haqu Wala village of Pakistan's Kasur district on August 24, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty

India alerts Pakistan on Tawi flood risk; evacuations continue as rivers rise

INDIA has alerted Pakistan about a possible flood in the Tawi River, according to a media report on Monday, while heavy rains and rising river levels have forced evacuations in Pakistan’s Punjab province.

Citing official sources, The News reported that India contacted Pakistan to share information about potential flooding in Jammu’s Tawi River. The Indian High Commission in Islamabad conveyed the alert on Sunday, the paper said. There has been no official confirmation from either India or Pakistan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nikki Haley

In her social media post, Haley said, 'India must take Trump’s point over Russian oil seriously, and work with the White House to find a solution. The sooner the better.'

Getty Images

Nikki Haley says India should heed Trump’s concerns on Russian oil

INDIA should take president Donald Trump’s concerns over its purchase of Russian crude oil seriously and work with the White House to resolve the matter, US Republican leader Nikki Haley has said.

The Trump administration has been sharply critical of India’s imports of discounted Russian oil. Washington, however, has not voiced the same criticism against China, which is the largest buyer of Russian crude.

Keep ReadingShow less
anti-immigration-protest

Demonstrators gather during an anti-immigration protest outside the New Bridge Hotel in Newcastle on August 23, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Anti-migrant protests continue across UK after asylum reforms announced

ANTI-MIGRANT protests were held across UK on Sunday outside hotels housing asylum seekers. This followed clashes a day earlier when police intervened to separate demonstrators and counter-protesters in several cities during rallies over immigration policies.

Immigration has emerged as the top concern in public opinion polls, putting pressure on prime minister Keir Starmer’s Labour government to act on its promise to end the use of hotels, which costs billions of pounds annually.

Keep ReadingShow less