Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Illegal UK waste offloaded to India, Dubai: Sri Lanka

A SRI LANKAN investigation into nearly 3,000 tonnes of illegally imported hazardous waste has shown that some of it was sent on to India and Dubai, a top minister said Friday (26).

Finance minister Mangala Samaraweera told parliament the importer of the waste had reshipped about 180 tonnes of raw garbage to India and Dubai in 2017 and 2018.


Sri Lanka's customs department found that a local company imported 241 containers from Britain, out of which 15 had been sent to India and two to Dubai.

Sri Lankan customs insist the British authorities should not have allowed the export without first clearing with Sri Lankan authorities if they were willing to accept the untreated waste.

The customs service said the consignment was believed to contain mortuary waste among other garbage which included large quantities of plastic.

"We have ordered the importer and shipping agent to take immediate steps to return the containers to its origin (Britain)," the minister said.

"I have also ordered that all those responsible be prosecuted immediately."

He said 130 containers had been taken to a free-trade zone near Colombo and some had been emptied causing contamination of water sources and air pollution.

"The importer has been asked to immediately repack all the garbage back in the containers," he said adding that all the waste must be sent back to Britain.

The company at the centre of the probe, Ceylon Metal Processing Corporation Privater Limited, said the storage company at a free trade zone was responsible for processing what they imported as "used mattresses".

Ceylon Metal director Sasikumaran Muthuramar denied that the containers, 111 of which are held up at Colombo port, contained biowaste.

Sri Lanka customs authorities said Tuesday (23) that the waste had been mislabelled and imported as used mattresses, but contained bio and clinical waste in contravention of international laws on the transport of waste material.

Sri Lanka's pushback comes as Indonesia and the Philippines also returned shipments of foreign rubbish to their ports of origin.

Indonesia announced two weeks ago it was sending more than 210 tonnes of garbage back to Australia and Canada has agreed to accept 69 containers of rubbish it had shipped to the Philippines between 2013 and 2014.

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

ChatGPT for teenagers

OpenAI is introducing a separate ChatGPT experience designed to make AI use safer for teenagers

iStock

Would you let your teenager talk to ChatGPT alone? OpenAI is adding new safeguards

  • ChatGPT for Teens is designed for users aged 13 to 17.
  • The new version restricts self-harm, sexual and romantic content and discourages emotional attachment to the chatbot.
  • Parents can set quiet hours and receive limited safety alerts when high-risk situations arise.

Would you let your teenager talk to an AI chatbot on their own? That question is becoming harder to ignore as teenagers turn to artificial intelligence not just for homework, but also for everyday questions and companionship. OpenAI has now launched ChatGPT for Teens, a version aimed at users aged 13 to 17 with stronger protections around some of the risks associated with younger users.

The new experience places tighter restrictions around topics including suicide, self-harm, eating disorders and romantic or sexual conversations. It is also designed to stop the chatbot from suggesting that it has feelings for a teenager, or that it is conscious and capable of experiencing emotions.

Keep ReadingShow less