Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

England's Archer out of Indian Premier League

Fast bowler Jofra Archer has officially withdrawn from the Indian Premier League but is on track to be fit for England's first Test of the summer, cricket chiefs announced on Friday.

Archer missed the start of Rajasthan Royals' campaign after undergoing surgery to remove fragments of glass from a finger.


The 26-year-old has also been managing a long-standing elbow injury and it has been decided he will not linking up with the Royals.

"The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed that England and Sussex bowler Jofra Archer will not play in the 2021 Indian Premier League," it said in a statement.

"Archer returned to bowling this week with higher intensity and the ECB and Sussex medical teams will continue to monitor his progress."

The paceman, who plays for county side Sussex, is expected to return to action in the next two weeks if he is pain-free.

England play their first Test against New Zealand at Lord's on June 2, the start of a packed summer schedule that also includes white-ball series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan and a Test campaign against India.

Archer is the third England player lost by Rajasthan this season, with Ben Stokes out after breaking a finger in the field and Liam Livingstone citing coronavirus bubble fatigue for his departure.

England wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler remains with the side.

The world's richest Twenty20 tournament is taking place during a coronavirus emergency in India, which on Friday reported more than 330,000 new infections.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Kush Maini

Maini, who is also part of the Alpine Driver Academy, has been the team's reserve driver since Season 10 and has impressed in testing, including topping a rookie practice session in Jeddah last year.

Formula One

Mahindra sees Kush Maini as future Formula E driver, says Bertrand

Mahindra Racing CEO and Team Principal Frederic Bertrand says Kush Maini has the potential to become the team's Formula E driver in the future, but made it clear that the team will not compromise on its competitive ambitions simply to have an Indian behind the wheel.

Maini, Mahindra's reserve driver who also competes in Formula 2, has been involved in the team's development programme and regularly attended races to familiarise himself with the demands of Formula E. He did not get a race in the 2025-26 season.

Keep ReadingShow less