Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Congress spokeswoman quits in middle of Indian election, joins BJP ally

A spokeswoman for India's main opposition Congress party quit on Friday and joined a group allied with prime minister Narendra Modi's ruling party, complaining that misbehaviour towards her by male Congress members was ignored.

The resignation of Priyanka Chaturvedi, a regular on prime-time TV debates, is an embarrassing setback for Congress in the middle of a general election, and again raises the contentious issue of the treatment of women in India.


"A serious incident and misbehaviour against me by certain party members while I was on official duty for the party has been ignored under the guise of all hands needed for elections," Chaturvedi wrote in the letter to Congress president Rahul Gandhi, and posted on Twitter.

Chaturvedi told a news conference she had joined Shiv Sena, a Hindu nationalist group allied with Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

Her resignation is another problem for the former ruling Congress party, which is facing a confident BJP, buoyed in part by Modi's tough stand against old rival Pakistan, despite concerns about farm incomes and a lack of jobs.

India's staggered general election began on April 11 and will end on May 19. Votes will be counted on May 23.

A #MeToo movement in India gathered momentum last year with numerous complaints of sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct levelled against prominent journalists, actors, movie directors, comedians and others.

The Congress in its election manifesto has promised measures to improve the safety and security of women, provide more job opportunities for them and increase gender equality.

'MATTER OF PAIN'

Chaturvedi said in her resignation letter her services were "not valued" in the party and she had "reached the end of the road".

She said the male party members she accused of misbehaviour were reinstated this week after being suspended.

A senior Congress source, who declined to be identified, defended the party's decision to lift the members' suspension after "due procedure".

Another top Congress official, Randeep Surjewala, asked by reporters about Chaturvedi's departure, said he wished people who looked for career progression well.

"Every time a member of the Congress family, every single worker who leaves, it's a matter of pain for us," he said.

Neither Chaturvedi nor the party have given details about the behaviour of the men. However, Chaturvedi told Gandhi in her letter that party members were not behaving in the way he urged men to.

"What saddens me is that despite the safety, dignity, empowerment of women being promoted by the party and has been your call to action the same is not reflected in the action of some of the members of the party," she wrote.

She denied newspaper reports, citing Congress sources, suggesting she was angry with the party after it did not let her stand in the election for a seat in Mumbai.

"That was never the reason," she told her news conference, saying the point was that people who spoke about empowering women and enhancing their safety should keep their word.

More For You

Lakshmi Mittal

Mittal's exit comes as Rachel Reeves prepares a fresh tax raising budget aimed at balancing the government's finances

Getty Images

Lakshmi Mittal quits Britain for Switzerland and Dubai over inheritance tax concerns

Highlights

  • Lakshmi Mittal, worth over £15 bn, has moved his tax residence from UK to Switzerland with plans to spend most time in Dubai.
  • Inheritance tax concerns, not income tax, drove the decision of the "King of Steel" to leave after 30 years in Britain.
  • The departure marks another high-profile exit as chancellor Rachel Reeves prepares major tax rises in the coming Budget.
Lakshmi Mittal, one of Britain's wealthiest men, has ended his three-decade association with the UK, relocating his tax residence to Switzerland and planning to base himself in Dubai. The 74-year-old steel magnate, worth approximately £15.5 bn according to the Asian Rich List 2025, is the latest prominent entrepreneur to leave Britain amid Labour's tax reforms targeting the super-rich.

The Indian-born billionaire built his fortune through ArcelorMittal, the world's second-largest steelmaker, in which he and his family hold nearly 40 per cent ownership. Since arriving in London in 1995, Mittal became a prominent figure in British business, acquiring expensive properties including a £57 m mansion on Kensington Palace Gardens known as the "Taj Mittal."

An adviser familiar with Mittal's family plans told The Sunday Times that, inheritance tax was the decisive factor in the decision. "It wasn't the tax on income or capital gains that was the issue, the issue was inheritance tax."

Keep ReadingShow less