Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Britain should say sorry for Jallianwala Bagh, says Sadiq

LONDON mayor Sadiq Khan said the British government should apologise for a colonial-era massacre in India as he visited the site this morning (6).

British troops opened fire on thousands of unarmed protesters in the city of Amritsar in Punjab, north India, in the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre, leaving 1,000 dead.


David Cameron described it as deeply shameful when the prime minister visited the memorial in Punjab during a 2013 trip to India, but stopped short of an apology.

Writing in the visitors' book, Khan said it had been "incredibly moving" to see the site of the massacre, calling it a tragedy that should never be forgotten.

"It is time for the British government to finally apologise," he wrote. "Our thoughts are with all those who died."

Colonial-era records show about 400 people died when soldiers opened fire on men, women and children in the enclosed area, but Indian figures put the toll at closer to 1,000.

In 1997, the Queen laid a wreath at Jallianwala Bagh during a tour of India. But Prince Philip reportedly said the Indian estimates for the death count were "vastly exaggerated".

Khan, the son of a Pakistani immigrant bus driver in London, also laid a wreath at a memorial to the victims.

Earlier in the day he visited the Golden Temple, the most revered place for the Sikh religion, where he covered his head with a white cloth and sat cross-legged on the floor to eat at the community kitchen.

Khan later entered Pakistan via the Wagah border crossing.

He reaffirmed his commitment to create a war memorial in central London to honour the Sikh servicemen and women who fought alongside British troops in the First and Second World Wars.

“Britain and the world owe a huge debt to the Sikh servicemen and women who fought alongside British troops during the First and Second World Wars,” Khan said.

“These brave individuals sacrificed an enormous amount to defend the freedoms that we enjoy today and it is only right that there is a memorial in our capital city to honour the Sikhs who fought to preserve our freedoms,” he added.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

honour-terror-survivors

Prime minister Andy Burnham delivers closing remarks at an event in central London to mark the first National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism on August 21, 2026.

(Photo by Carl Court / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

Britain honours terror survivors as Burnham vows: ‘We will fight for you’

Highlights

  • National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism to be held every August 21
  • Burnham says survivors often live with trauma long after the public moves on
  • Government promises changes to support, compensation and legal assistance
  • New 24/7 Support Hub offers specialist help to people affected by terrorism

FOR MANY victims and survivors of terrorism, life does not return to normal when the headlines fade. Grief, injuries and trauma can remain long after the rest of the country has moved on.

Keep ReadingShow less