Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Ukraine toymaker Ugears returns to work amid Russia's massive aggression

The company continued with it productivity even when Russian forces’ aggression took place across Ukraine and their military actions heavily damaged its manufacturing facility.

Ukraine toymaker Ugears returns to work amid Russia's massive aggression

Imagine running a small business with missiles and mortars raining down around your company's headquarters and manufacturing facility, while shock troops move in to occupy your town, slaughtering defenders and civilians alike.

That was the situation where Ugears, a reputed Ukrainian toymaker, found itself earlier this year when Russia attacked the east European nation.


A wooden motorcar manufactured by Ugears A wooden motorcar manufactured by Ugears

However, the maker of wooden mechanical toys withstood Russia's military invasion that damaged its manufacturing centre and burnt euros worth of inventory, to return to work.

Amid the challenges, the company succeeded in releasing 20 new kits this year, including military and a new line of Harry Potter™ themed models.

Ugears designs and manufactures wooden mechanical DIY models and 3D puzzles sold to hobbyists in 85 countries around the world. The models are an amazing combination of art and engineering, and have earned Ugears its place as an industry leader. By 2021, after only seven years of existence, the company had grown to the point where it was manufacturing a million puzzle kits a year.

When Russia's full-scale invasion took place in February this year, some of Ugears' 250-people team took up arms to defend Ukraine while some left to help protect or evacuate their families. Others survived occupation and daily rocket strikes in bunkers or underground tunnels, periodically checking in to let their colleagues know that they were alive.

A tractor carrying a Ukrainian flag manufactured by Ugears A tractor carrying a Ukrainian flag manufactured by Ugears

Ugears's manufacturing unit is located in Horenka village, near Bucha in Ukraine's Kyiv region.

As Russian forces drove to capture Kyiv, the Bucha region came under intense attack and eventual occupation. Ugears's factory and warehouse were heavily damaged from shelling, with wooden puzzles worth 500,000 euros (£429,300) burnt to ashes.

The Horenka village was left in ruins, with no water or electricity supply, while devastating images from Bucha sparked outrage globally.

Despite these challenges, however, the magic of creating new model designs never stopped at Ugears.

"Even though the manufacturing was closed, and the country has been under regular shelling, our team continued to work remotely. We evacuated the computers of the Design and Engineering Team, so they developed new models that waited to be tested and launched into production," Oleksiy Lysyany, CEO of Ugears, said.

While new product lines from Ugears include a collection of military and Harry Potter™ themed models, the puzzles ordered on the company’s international website https://ugearsmodels.com/ are shipped worldwide from Latvia, without changes or any delays.

More For You

South Wales Police

South Wales Police said they were called to South Morgan Place in Riverside at 07:37 BST on Thursday following reports of a seriously injured woman. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Cardiff man charged with murder after woman’s death

A 37-YEAR-OLD man has been charged with murder after a woman was found dead in Cardiff.

South Wales Police said they were called to South Morgan Place in Riverside at 07:37 BST on Thursday following reports of a seriously injured woman.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pakistan floods

Rescuers patrol through floodwaters in the Haqu Wala village of Pakistan's Kasur district on August 24, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty

India alerts Pakistan on Tawi flood risk; evacuations continue as rivers rise

INDIA has alerted Pakistan about a possible flood in the Tawi River, according to a media report on Monday, while heavy rains and rising river levels have forced evacuations in Pakistan’s Punjab province.

Citing official sources, The News reported that India contacted Pakistan to share information about potential flooding in Jammu’s Tawi River. The Indian High Commission in Islamabad conveyed the alert on Sunday, the paper said. There has been no official confirmation from either India or Pakistan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nikki Haley

In her social media post, Haley said, 'India must take Trump’s point over Russian oil seriously, and work with the White House to find a solution. The sooner the better.'

Getty Images

Nikki Haley says India should heed Trump’s concerns on Russian oil

INDIA should take president Donald Trump’s concerns over its purchase of Russian crude oil seriously and work with the White House to resolve the matter, US Republican leader Nikki Haley has said.

The Trump administration has been sharply critical of India’s imports of discounted Russian oil. Washington, however, has not voiced the same criticism against China, which is the largest buyer of Russian crude.

Keep ReadingShow less
anti-immigration-protest

Demonstrators gather during an anti-immigration protest outside the New Bridge Hotel in Newcastle on August 23, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Anti-migrant protests continue across UK after asylum reforms announced

ANTI-MIGRANT protests were held across UK on Sunday outside hotels housing asylum seekers. This followed clashes a day earlier when police intervened to separate demonstrators and counter-protesters in several cities during rallies over immigration policies.

Immigration has emerged as the top concern in public opinion polls, putting pressure on prime minister Keir Starmer’s Labour government to act on its promise to end the use of hotels, which costs billions of pounds annually.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indian Aroma

The restaurant suffered extensive damage in the fire. Neighbours reported hearing loud screams on Friday night. (Photo credit: X)

Two arrested over arson at London Indian restaurant that injured five

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy and a 54-year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire broke out at an Indian restaurant in east London, leaving five people injured.

The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to the Indian Aroma restaurant in Ilford on Friday night. Three women and two men, believed to be diners, sustained burn injuries. They were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service paramedics before being taken to hospital. According to police, a man and a woman remain in a life-threatening condition.

Keep ReadingShow less