Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK to ensure security of Indian mission after Khalistani vandalism

On Sunday, involved Khalistani protesters waving separatist flags, had attempted to grab the Indian flag flying above the building

UK to ensure security of Indian mission after Khalistani vandalism

British officials have denounced the recent vandalism at the Indian High Commission by pro-Khalistani protesters, calling it "disgraceful" and "completely unacceptable".

They have also stated that the UK government will prioritise the security of the mission going forward. The incident, which took place on Sunday (19) involved protesters waving separatist Khalistani flags and attempting to grab the Indian flag flying above the building.


One person has been arrested in connection with the violent disorder.

Officials from the Indian mission reported that the attack on the building had been unsuccessful and that the national flag was now displayed more prominently.

The Metropolitan Police has stated that two security staff members sustained minor injuries and an investigation into the incident has been initiated.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemned the violent behavior and vandalism, stating on Twitter "There is no place in our city for this kind of behaviour".

While the British High Commissioner to India Alex Ellis described the incident as "disgraceful" and "totally unacceptable".

Lord Tariq Ahmad of Wimbledon, Foreign Office minister, expressed his dismay at the incident and affirmed that the government would prioritise the security of the Indian High Commission.

"This is a completely unacceptable action against the integrity of the Mission and its staff," he tweeted.

According to a statement by the Metropolitan Police, they were summoned on Sunday afternoon in response to reports of disorder, with the incident occurring at the High Commission building where windows were reportedly smashed.

Upon arrival, most of the individuals involved had already left the scene. The police initiated an investigation, and a man was subsequently apprehended in the vicinity on suspicion of violent disorder. The police state that their inquiries are ongoing.

India, on the other hand, expressed its strong protest to the British government regarding the security of its diplomatic presence and questioned the lack of adequate protection at the location.

Videos from the scene show an Indian official grabbing the flag from a protester through the first-floor window of the mission, while the protester is seen hanging off its ledge and waving a Khalistan flag before it is taken away. Also, images of shattered windows and men climbing the India House building were circulating on social media.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MEA), the senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi, was called in late Sunday night to express India's vehement displeasure over the activities committed by separatist and extremist forces against the Indian High Commission in London.

An explanation was demanded for the complete absence of British security that allowed these elements to enter the High Commission premises. She was reminded in this regard of the basic obligations of the UK Government under the Vienna Convention, the MEA statement said.

India finds unacceptable the indifference of the UK government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK, the statement said.

"It is expected that the UK Government would take immediate steps to identify, arrest and prosecute each one of those involved in today's incident, and put in place stringent measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents, it said.

With inputs from PTI

More For You

Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer to replace top aide Nin Pandit after 10 months

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.

Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.

Keep ReadingShow less
ChatGPT

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday

iStock

'ChatGPT encouraged him to take his life': Parents of Adam Raine sue OpenAI

Highlights:

  • Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
  • The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
  • OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
  • The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.

A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.

Keep ReadingShow less
Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures
Elon Musk (Photo: Reuters)

Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures

US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.

Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.

Keep ReadingShow less
england-flags-reuters

A Union Jack flag and England's flag of St George hang from a pedestrain bridge as a man walks past, in Radcliffe, near Manchester, August 22, 2025. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Union Jack and St George’s Cross at centre of migration tensions

Highlights:

  • Flags more visible across England amid migration debate
  • Protests outside hotels for asylum seekers linked to flag displays
  • Councils removing some flags citing safety concerns

THE RED and white St George's Cross and the Union Jack have been appearing across England in recent weeks. Supporters say the move is about national pride, while others see it as linked to rising anti-immigration sentiment.

Keep ReadingShow less