Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Tory members suspended for posting Islamophobic content reinstated

MORE than a dozen Conservative party members who were suspended from the party for posting Islamophobic or racist content online have been reinstated into the party.

The Tories on March 18 suspended 25 members over Islamophobic comments made on social media.


Some of them had described Saudis as "sand peasants" and shared material comparing Asians to dogs.

In a letter to prime minister Theresa May, Labour mayor of London Sadiq Khan expressed "deep concern" about the rise of anti-Muslim sentiment in the Conservative party.

He said the party "needs to do much more to send the clear message that Islamophobia is totally unacceptable, as unfortunately that has not always been the case over recent years."

He explained: "I myself have repeatedly been subject to Islamophobic abuse from Conservative members and supporters.

"I have lost track of the number of Conservative councillors and members that have been suspended or faced legal action as a result of making Islamophobic comments towards or about me."

A Conservative spokesman said the party has acted “swiftly, suspending members and launching immediate investigations,” when they were made aware of instances of Islamophobia or racism.

"Our complaints process is rightly a confidential one but there are a wide range of sanctions to challenge and change behaviour, including conditions to undertake training, a period of suspension and expulsion, and these are applied on a case-by- case basis," the spokesman said.

More For You

ai-blackmail-students

'Blackmailers are taking images from school websites, using AI tools to manipulate them into illegal material'

Photo for representation: iStock

Schools warned to take down pupils' photos over 'AI blackmail threat'

  • Sextortion reports from under-18s rose 34 per cent last year
  • Schools are being advised to use blurred, distant or rear-facing photos — or none at all
  • One private school group has already redesigned its website to remove recognisable pupil images

SCHOOLS across the UK are being urged to remove pictures of pupils from their websites and social media pages after criminals used artificial intelligence to turn children's photos into sexually explicit images and demand money.

Child safety experts and the National Crime Agency have warned that blackmailers are taking images from school websites, using AI tools to manipulate them into illegal material, and then threatening to release them unless they receive a payment, reported the Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less